Background Image

Is It Astartes Or Astarte?

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by XXLiberatorXX, Oct 6, 2014.

1. When referring to a singular Space Marine, is it Astarte or Astartes? I know this may sound silly, but I while talking about Space Marines earlier today, someone said "Astartes", and I wondered, is it always Astartes, or is the singular Astarte? I asked those around me, and no one knew, so I figured I'd bring the question here, and hopefully get some answers.
  2. Avatos Avatos Active Member

It is Astartes,even if you talk for someone specific,or for a whole ;)
    In the novels also,you can find the word Astartes,even when they speak for someone specific !!
  3. Thank you so much my good sir! I truly appreciate this.
    Avatos likes this.
  4. Tarl68 TARL68 Arkhona Vanguard

a simple google search reveals the truth,

search for astarte and you get pages of links about the mesopotamian goddess ishtar

search for astartes and you get pages of links about wh40k
  5. Tis true, though I wasn't sure if by chance Astarte could represent a singular Astartes.

I suppose that if I have the red underline for "Astartes", and not Astarte, my question is answered by that alone.

I find it odd that the some of the most prolific, if not the most prolific killers within science fiction have a name that's akin to a fertility/war goddess.
    Lord-methodhigh likes this.
  6. Tarl68 TARL68 Arkhona Vanguard

well a rough translation of astartes means "star", used in the wh40k sense to indicate "space" since the concept of outerspace was unknown to the greek/latin peoples...

as for the goddess occasionaly being called astarte (depending on your language) I think anyone whos known people with hippy parents wouldnt be surprised to meet a girl named Star

lol
  7. Avatos Avatos Active Member

The 40k has to do almost with all...
    Science,Chivalry,Duty,Religion,Faith,Honour,Brotherhoood,Casts,WAR... and a plethora of other things that everyone can discover,the more deep decides to go in the Grim Future of the 40-41 Millenia !

The names and other things that you may encounter,trust me,they will travel you faaaar more and deep in the past ;) while you will find yourself...that something is much familiar..with the present,and future itself :rolleyes:
    XXLiberatorXX likes this.
  8. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

you want to know latin or high gothic?
  9. Shonedar Shonedar Well-Known Member

Actually Astronomy goes way earlier than Greeks...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_astronomy

on topic...

"Astartes" is not related to "star" in latin..."star" is the latin "astrum", that is the greek "astron".

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/astrum

The relation to the goddess Astarte, is more likely.In any way " adeptus astartes" is probably coming from a pseudo-gothic madeup language.
    XXLiberatorXX likes this.
  10. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

astartes is clearly an high gothic trasformation of astra or bettet of "astrartes" "of the stars" so if you call a space marine an "astartes" you call him "of the stars" so astarte it's morr similar to "of the star"
    XXLiberatorXX and Avatos like this.