Background Image

In game engine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scots, Mar 19, 2017.

?

Would it have been better off for eternal crusade to be built in engine made from scratch

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DrunkScotsman Scots First Blood!

So I know there has been issues from the beginning with performance, and I do not know about game engines and how they work but have heard good and bad regarding ue4. So put plainly of they decided to work on their own engine from scratch in the beginning would everything have turned out diffrent either for better or worse. More options and flexibility to do things but at the cost of time and a simplication. Thoughts?
  2. ItGetsAllOver ItGetsAllOver Steam Early Access

At the pace they operate, if we had to wait for a custom engine, we'd still be pre-alpha.
    duffmek, AddyRedrum and Chuffster like this.
  3. DrunkScotsman Scots First Blood!

I agree but would it have been worth it had it been done, I feel if it was there would be many things changed arroynd
  4. SakitPerut Steam Early Access

I'd argue that UE4 is still one of the best engines available atm (they've been around for almost 2 decades), and idk why people get the idea that it's simple or isn't flexible.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_4

Making a game engine in itself is far from being a simple task. Had it gone the other way, still being in pre-alpha might be an understatement.
    ItGetsAllOver and Chuffster like this.
  5. Mathial Mathial Arkhona Vanguard

Huh didn't realize Squenix is opting to using UE4 for their big upcoming releases [KH3 and FF7 Remake].
  6. Yeah no.

Making a new engine would take far longer, cost more and ultimately be pointless.
    The problem with Unreal4 is that bE doesn't know how to use it.
    Its quite obvious from their lighting and general effects.

IMO Unity would've been a better choice, but thats just me.
    Teshkomije and AddyRedrum like this.
  7. Chuffy Chuffster Deacon

There may be better game engines than Unreal Engine, but all the ones I am aware of are usually limited by publisher. You rarely, if ever, see them used by anyone else. EA uses Frostbite, Ubisoft uses AnvilNext and so on.
    Celestia likes this.
  8. Orkan Orkan Arkhona Vanguard

There already has been a game engine change. It used to be on Unity I think

9. Realistically if they knew how to do it and efficiently a custom engine would've likely been a good idea. In saying that the majority of this game is outsourced and just patched together and it shows it
    Korel likes this.
  10. Wait wtf terminators are in that video.