Background Image

In Development: Scream While Dying (TM)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oveur, Nov 30, 2017.

?

But Angron can be nice?

1. No.

2. Seriously. No.

3. No. You are totally getting banned for not following the rules.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nathan Richardsson Oveur Senior Producer

This is an exercise, which can potentially create balancing iterations we can play around with on UAT.

None of this is scheduled to happen; this is more how you work internally. You discuss, dig into data and numbers, throw around ideas, then determine if some are valid enough to go to UAT.

Scream While Dying (TM)

Purpose: While you are dying, you get to scream, shout and bash your keyboard, instead of screaming after you died in a way not clear to you, and then scream after you died.

It is as simple as it sounds. I've gone through this exercise in many games while consulting and games I run myself. The psychological effect of the two scenarios is undeniable. While you still usually end up dying in before and after the changes, you inherently feel like you had a fighting chance.

This means drastically increasing survivability, which can be done through quite a few ways.

We want to get people to propose balance changes so they get annoyed less by dying.

Opportunities:
    • Scream while dying
    • Lessens the impact of the most time-sensitive systems
    • Latency has less effect
    • Factions and classes have more room to differentiate themselves with the added stat range
    • The long time-to-battlefield is not as frustrating (other projects, such as vehicle stats and spawning, fewer tanks, more epic)
    • Mods can be much more effective and give choice of playstyle,
    • You will in most cases not change the outcome of all battles but the following opportunity for differentiation in faction and classes might.
    Risks:
    • You end up bored to death waiting to die,
    • there is a lot of factors that might create temporary OPs but that's always
    • Mods and LP costs need more work,
    • Ruin the game. But all changes can do that. So we test out iterations on UAT.
    Exercise framework
    • This is not to debate if Scream While Dying (TM) should be done, it is to propose how to do it.
    • After a solid suggestion sheet of changes is created, and rounds of testing, we decide if we deploy an iteration to UAT at all.
    • This is also not a screaming contest between ideas; it is brainstorming, meaning all suggestions are valid, no matter how bad.
    • You get no engineering time; you can only mess with the stats (unless I deem it worthy enough to override other things in dev).
    • Suggestions can be long, and you can copy the sheet for your group to work, marking changes in red.
    • Here is the most recent stats overview. This is the external master, and we'll update it: http://bit.ly/2j1Zvpl
    • Enjoy the exercise and speculation, stay very very far away from salt and personal attacks.
      I'll temp ban you without hesitation for ruining the exercise.
    • The suggested format in replies is; "This has X and Y while that has Z and Q. If we change X to the values Ö, Ö1, and Ö2 on the variations, it will become a valid choice."
    Again, brainstorm, suggestions, enjoy the exercise and opportunity, don't be Angron.
  2. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

And I was actually hoping to get some university stuff done today...
    So, for the records: we are supposed to copy the sheet, make the changes we want (outlined in red) and re-upload/re-publish it for review?

Edit: More Questions:
    -What is "Force", in particular on ranged weapons?
    -Why do we have Direswords, Shimmershields and an Outcast rifle or rather: why dont we?
    -How do distance units approximately translate to 'meters'
    -How does the recoil first shot multiplier work?
    -Do we have base-stat changes yet?
    -Whats up with the point costs? I retract this one, they just seemed very high without advancements
  3. Would someone translate this from Nathan -> Dumb for me? o_O (Not native english speaker here, normaly i get the sarcasm, but not here)
  4. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

it’s not sarcasm is game design.

click on the link and check the stuff.

it’s basically answer to “why my power armor feel like power tissue?” so you can rage while you die instead of die and rage at the respawn timer.
    Sumshine and Oveur like this.
  5. Zael Zael Well-Known Member

I... do not understand at all what this is supposed to mean.

Does that mean that while our character is bleeding out/dead we get to scream into a microphone???

Does that mean that while our character is bleeding out/dead we can do some kind of in-game action other than crawling around???
    Vaanes, Firskon and LOBOTRONUS like this.
  6. I don't think I can...
  7. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

Right now many (bad) players experience scenarios where they dont feel like they can fight back. Someone gives them a series of headshots and its over. The TTK is actually really high but the perceived TTK is very low.
    And its not wrong. I can kill most people without endagering myself and there are also a handful who can kill me without endangering themselves.
    Hence: You die and then you scream because you couldnt do anything about it.

On the other hand the idea is to make it so that you might still loose, but get a chance to fight back hence: you scream, whilst dying, not after.
    Give players the illusion of being more in charge of their own fate and also decrease the impact that bad netcode or hitreg problems can have on the outcome of a fight.
    Its not generally a bad idea, but I am afraid it would increase TTK even more.
    Waaaaaagh, Aislinn, Vaanes and 4 others like this.
  8. So the idea is to propose/discuss ways to increase survivability (only by changing stats) to give more time to scream while dying?
  9. Mkoll Oan-Mkoll Menial

As a tip. -> Help -> type in freeze -> freeze 1 colum

for easier editing
  10. Nathan Richardsson Oveur Senior Producer

Exactly this.