Background Image

In Development: Scream While Dying (TM) - Updated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oveur, Nov 30, 2017.

?

But Angron can be nice?

1. No.

2. Seriously. No.

3. No. You are totally getting banned for not following the rules.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Delgear Steam Early Access

mechanically speaking it is poorly implemented for it to "try" to even be a competitive shooter, the units response times are slow, the guns have large spread on them ...the recoil is nonexistent ....it was never designed(originally) to be a competitive shooter ...its damage system is for an mmo rpg with infinitely scaling equipment ....

it mechanically "can't be" that pro player shooter you want it to be without so much work it makes my head hurt.
  2. Delgear Steam Early Access

back when i talked about switching to a more linear damage system, that was more obvious to the user ... if those changes had been made, you might could have made it into a competitive shooter, but its kinda too late now.
  3. Belphegor LordSloth Preacher

As someone who shares most if not all of your views on other games and their respective pro's and con's i must say that i honestly disagree with your approach on EC. Not because they are bad or wrong ideas, not because they would not work in a vacuum, but because i think that you are applying them a little too late. Those are the drastic changes you can pull off either if you are very very successfull and have a deep playerbase who will bounce back or if you are really early in the alpha and you can basically reinvent yourself on the spot.
    EC is neither of those and any drastic change bears the potential to be the last one considering the dire playerbase situation. If you take a wrong turn it's lights out time.
    Having said that alot of the 40k playerbase who play ec are not necessarily "Shooter" players. Pretty much like DoW 1+2 pulled alot of RTS fans towards 40k, EC pulled alot of 40k fans towards shootertype gameplay. Especially if you consider that EC was by your own (and in my opinion correct) assessment never one of the best shooters. So it naturally did not encourage "shooter" fans to stick around but mostly 40k fans.

In conclusion i really appreciate the work you put up and in my opinion it would be a solid startingpoint for any EC2 type of shooter to completely redesign and reallign the game from scratch but this thread is just a carrot without any deeper reward. There is no programmer left to restructure and craft all these systems, there is no designer to finetune them and last but not least there is not a uniform audiance to appreciate them. Radical changes always cut off parts of the playerbase from "the product they bought and loved" and if this number is not significantly lower compared to the number you try to pull in then it will be a wasted efford or a killshot.
    Krayt likes this.
  4. Deathwish Deathwish Well-Known Member

Opinions are not wrong or right, but they can be based on false assumptions or incorrect information. On a side note, just because LoL is played by the most people, it doesn't make it the best game ever. It doesn't have a single player story mode for Hecarim.
  5. Delgear Steam Early Access

I cant disagree that it might be too late.

there is a lot of pent up ill will from the games stagnation ... i think faster response to the outcry in patch 1.3 would have saved us incalculable grief ... and i dont mean a full rewind ... even then .... there where things 1.3 fixed ... melee was too strong. but when we went too far waiting this long to dial back was way too long ....

the game we had before 1.3 was successful ... it certainly wasn't an industry giant but it was successful. i think our best chance is trying to recapture that feel.
    LordSloth likes this.
  6. Delgear Steam Early Access

no but he was using a derogatory tone for league as if it was never competitive or a good game. as if to say it was a "normies game". sure mobas are popular ow but it was a mechanically sound and difficult game in its earlier iterations (when it grew fastest). its losing steam now because its doing the same thing we did that railroaded our success .... killing off play styles to make it easier to make garbage content faster.

every time you slice off a play style and stop supporting it you lose a chunk of your base .... we have a smaller base than league so it killed us faster.
  7. Delgear Steam Early Access

TBF to me i had been giving mostly the same tune for weapon diversity of role and strategic options /// depth since Steam Beta .. its not like i just started working on it today out of the blue ..... but nobody listened .... and here we are complaining about the exact things i stated would be issues .... and experiencing losses exactly where i predicted them ... its not because im some super genius.

but if you watch any game that has gone down our road they all make the same mistakes over and over again. they always add useless complexity (our damage system) with no real gain in depth(our weapons are all just dps balls instead of real diverse weapons with spheres of influence.)

look at elite dangerous ... same path complexity no depth ....
    league shorten up TTK and makes most champions build able in a very narrow build path and specific optimal talents or the champ is non viable ...
    tribes changes its diverse builds and wide weapon selection and fine tuned physics engine for a more "arcade feel"

every example did the same thing it did to EC ... it wasted dev time for no effect on the gameplay in fact a negative effect on the gameplay. In any asymetric game you will never have true balance the trick is to keep the balance in flux and continue to maintain or preferably add to depth of choice and gameplay ... not just adding complexity with no real goal or purpose in mind.

when they add something or design something new they don't really think "what is this things role" and "how will this affect other roles."
  8. Delgear Steam Early Access

needing a spreadsheet with advanced calculations to determine the top dps weapon is not depth its only complexity ....

the fact that if you tried to determine what the best dps weapon was and the situation mattered drastically and returned different results every time would be depth.
  9. Delgear Steam Early Access

a good example of a game "like EC in some regards" that created true depth would be mech warrior online ...

if you have a weapon, whether you out dps the opponent or they out dps you in any given situation has so many variables that are technically under the players control its ridiculous ... is there a best dps weapon ? probably .... but it doesn't always win because any weapon in MWO has a weak spot be it range, heat, tracking, damage, facetime, ect .... and there's a weapon that fits right into that groove and has an advantage in that situation to fight that weapon ....

the balance isn't perfect but look how darn long that zombie game still lives because it has actual real depth of gameplay.
  10. Krayt Krayt Preacher

Monologue