Background Image

In Development: Arkhona Timeline Reset, writing for EC, while preparing the future

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oveur, Nov 30, 2017.

?

So I can write about squads?

1. No.

2. No, just no.

3. You are one sick puppy. No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ser DJ Hodor TheBurgerMeister Well-Known Member

The challenge they need to figure out first is giving incentive to play even if you are losing.

For example, Space Marine campaign comes on and now suddenly everyone wants to play Space Marines, clogging up the queues because everyone wants to win the item and currency for that faction. That is hooey.

We need to change how campaigns work entirely so that they are not for any one specific faction, but are about fighting for the faction you love the most and giving it your all.

Don't even get me started on Warparty premades that slaughter pubs during these. That is a problem in itself that needs some kind of work around.

Sadly this game isn't like Planetside 1 or 2 and we can't have continent locking as all the maps are just battle arenas.

What we could have though are buffs for the winning faction (maybe something small like health regen, iunno) or something to do with gaining special access to a treasure trove hive or raid boss for the tyranids (that would require maybe too much dev time). Again, something needs to be done to give each faction a hard and clear incentive to WIN and want to win and not faction stack like we see now with the current campaigns.

You can write all the lore you want, its not going to make new players care. I don't even read the lore ever.

Focus on incentives for players to actually want to fight each other and not faction stack. Lore comes last in game development. Its just icing on the cake.
    Corie likes this.
  2. Amon Grammaticus_John New Member

It would be super cool to see the effects of the campaign in game, win or lose. If nothing on the planet is actually changing in game with each campaign then the campaign really doesn’t feel like it’s doing anything.
  3. I've actually been talking to Jordan and Nathan about ways we can modify the landscape/environment of the different maps to show change or that something has happened, even if it can't be grand sweeping things.

Its still my personal goal to watch people crap themselves and start theoryhammering on what seeing Tyranid spawn pools put on various maps could mean...
    Grammaticus_John likes this.
  4. Krooza Nob Bozz KroozaNob Well-Known Member

Oh goodies, if this could be a thing, I'd love to see inside ork spawn points space wolves pieces of wargear, such a simple way to deliver ingame a sense of presence for the warlords.
    Grammaticus_John and Gashmangla like this.
  5. As a simple example, imagine Chaos has been on a MAD upswing in terms of mission after mission with no attempts made to undermine their victories, yeah? Imagine convincing the Devs to just throw some chaos wheel/devotional icons onto the map in either hidden places or in open places like right on the side of a major road intersection on the map.

Or WAAAGH! Banners...

Or Devotional Aquillas...

Or small, non-functional Wraithbone gates...
  6. LucianNostra Well-Known Member

sounds like a plan, my first reservation is

• We may or may not, re-use the current unique rewards in the campaigns that had them. It is, after all, a limited period of time you can participate.
    Like that's totally fine if you reuse them but you need to understand that A) if you just reuse them less people are going to play than if there is something new. and B) if you give say LSM, CSM and Orkz a new item but Eldar get their shiny gold pistol again your gonna get a lot of blow back, so you can't drop the ball again on one factions items again, the Eldar campaign was a total disaster and continues to be, super delayed, shoulder scrapped for a quickly recolored pistol, less total rewards for Eldar players, and the Autarch is still missing.
    Katzu_HSM likes this.
  7. NurgleBurger NurgleBurger Steam Early Access

Maybe add a lore menu/button in-game where you could read up on past battles/campaigns? I think that would entice people more to read and contribute than to go out and read a wiki though a wiki would be good as well.
    Grammaticus_John likes this.
  8. The wiki is more like a running, living chronicle than a must read. I also plan to periodically post stuff here once we get the revisions approved. THAT SAID, we plan to base our stories off the lore, but a knowledge of the Lore won't be required. I'd also like to go into the ui and change the 'boilerplates' we see for each continent, give them names and a bit of "flava" so its not just "we go to slay our hated foe" stuff.