Background Image

Important Accessibility/playability Issues That Should Be Addressed Now, Since Ec Is Still In Alpha

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragomok, Mar 1, 2015.

1. I often wonder why key binding and customizing your controller layout seems to be regressing as far as prevalence in video games the last several years.
  2. Yknaar Dragomok Subordinate

Hm...

I can't really say I've got a lot of experience with current trends, since I happen to stick to indie, F2P and old games (last three "retail" games I played were Starbound, Transistor and Divine Divinity).

Games that most often have absolutely no key bindings are bad console/smartphone ports or games made by really small studios (Antichamber, I'm looking at you) - and we had a rise of these, right? So maybe that's a factor?
    (Oh, and also Early Access games are likely to "postpone" that part, since... reasons?)

Gamepads, due to their association with consoles, traditionally were treated as unrebindable - but then again, two out of three recent games with controller support had complete controller remapping, so it seems like it's a positive trend.

As for problems with left-handed mouse... Well, the oldest game I played that ignored that setting was the original Fallout. So problems with that has been around for a while. And it's hard to tell whether that's changing or not, because only, er, "media outlets" like TotalBiscuit or ZŻŹ-list reviewers (eg. Jarenth) even talk about key bindings - so there are even less people who would talk about that and lefty mouse setting.
  3. My left hand is like a stranger to me! ;)
    Dragomok and Djemo-SRB like this.
  4. Noromiz Noromiz Nickname Change

I have never had problems with my Razer Deathadder Left-Handed, but I guess that is because it doesn't need to use the left-handed setting.
    But are you seriously suggesting that they may not include key-binding in the alpha? That would be a absolutely heretical thought!
    Dragomok likes this.
  5. Nicolas Brunoni NicolasBrunoni Lead UI/UX Designer

Hey all! Pretty sure we will be able to put all these things in the game. Don't need to worry. I'll do check with Patrick our Lead Programmer just to be sure.
    Dragomok, Rikamar and Kaelin like this.
  6. The Lead Programmer approves! we want all of what has been listed by the OP too, even more, switchable X-axis as example, Steven loves to play like that!
    Grigdusher, Dragomok, Rikamar and 4 others like this.
  7. This is an interesting fact that seems to apply to a lot of lefties (I should know. A very unusual percentage of my family is left-handed - my father, my aunt, two of my three cousins). Often people refer to their "strong" hand and therefore it being their primary hand. But I made the observation a lot of lefties do a lot of things like a righty, mostly playing an instrument and such, because they say their left hand isn't their strong hand, but their skilled hand, they have more feeling and more control with it.
    And as most instruments, like the guitar, use both hands. And as it is more difficult to make the grips on the fretboard than to play the strings on the body, most lefties do it like righties. It is a very paradox development that the difficult tasks in everyday-life are performed with the left hand - but the right hand is the prominent hand, the tasks the eye is drawn to is performed with it. Even if it is the easier task it is the "primary" task, and the primary hand.

It's always funny for me to make such observations.
    Dragomok likes this.
  8. Zhull Zhull Well-Known Member

yes i would say indeed that my left is the skilled hand, but my right one is the strong one.
    ive also done boxing and the sorts for years and never as a southpaw.
  9. Let me guess, at dinner you always have the fork in your left, regardless of your need of a knife or whatelse? Meaning you don't switch you hands with it, other than righties who have the fork in their right when they have a fork only, but switch it to the left when they need a knife?
    Dragomok and Zhull like this.
  10. Zhull Zhull Well-Known Member

lol indeed, always in my left.