Background Image

I'm (Finally) Taking a Holiday!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by KatieFleming, Jul 26, 2017.

1. -WCA-Vola Talron Steam Early Access

She is the community manager so normally if people have issues or questions she is the go to person to help fix it. Along with that she helps to manage the support team, forums and she helps organize the twitch shows. She doesnt affect the development of the game directly but she does play an important role which is why she informed us of her absence. She wasn't boasting about it.
    Doomness1000 and Cyborg_Dragon like this.
  2. Also, every pack @DJPenguin gives out goes through Katie. Every pack @Talron and I will be giving out for the community campaigns goes through Katie. She handles Customer Service, Social Media, managing the Moderators here, keeping the Community up-to-date on what's going on... As has been mentioned plenty of times, she's the interface between the community and the team.
  3. Chewdakka Regz First Blood!

I know all of that and I expected there to be some fanbois jumping out on it, I just mean that my interpretation of it is that it isn't really that much. Considering the official patch notes have never actually made it on to the official forum I wonder what else a community manager does as I haven't seen much presence on here either. I've seen other personalities in an official role, moderators and the like but yeah. It struck me as rather ironic that the defining moment in all of that was a thread about going on holiday.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that I would like to see more from some personalities at BH, Nathan's "but I'm icelandic...." jokes are wearing a bit thin so perhaps it is time for someone else to take the floor and be the face of BH for the community and get excited about things in the game and talk about them with the community. Sometimes a change of face is good to blow a breath of fresh air onto a project.

This isnt intended as a flame, and I am probably being overly cynical because its not really an "announcement" of huge importance, but it is just the perception of one casual passer by. I thought ought to be brought up in case others have a similar take. If they do perhaps it can be changed. Good publicity helps everyone.
  4. First off the game itself says the Steam Announcements are the official patch notes; not the forum. Not how I'd handle it, but I don't like the fact that all roads lead to Steam now adays. Its useful and convenient, but all your eggs in one cart means a ton of broken eggs when the cart slips a wheel...

As for Community Management, I did some research on job expectations of a CM for my own edification, since all of my 'hobbies' tend to evolve into a CM role of whatever I'm working on anyway. I've never seen one like this for Katie, but I hope these links give you an idea of what CM typically entails:

* General CM - https://fuelcycle.com/daily-community-manager/
    * Sr. CM at Blizzard - http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/b20/interviews.html#thirdInterview
    * CM for Dragon's Oath - http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/changyou/052010/6114_a-day-in-the-life-of-a-community-manager
    * CM for TERA - http://www.zam.com/article/93/donna-prior-the-life-of-a-community-manager

Hope those help give you an idea of a "TYPICAL" day for a CM. That said, Katie has three jobs that are connected to her role as CM, but not exactly the same.

The team numbers a dozen. Of those, somewhere in the vicinity of 50% handles development of the game. The other half are support and community staff. Cycling the 'faces' means either pulling somebody off of their job or shuffling the community teams at bE as a whole just to give us a 'fresh face.' Neither of those plans seem efficient

The problem isn't the people. Nathan, Noah, and Katie each come to the project with lengthy, impressive, and in some cases award-winning experience under their belts. The problem is the workload, which would wear on even the most capable professional and doesn't seem to show any indication of lightening up. In fact the opposite is true; they want to do MORE for us and for the game.

As for the "get excited about things in the game and talk about them with the community," get on the EC Discord. https://discord.gg/BcJqGRq . Seriously. Nathan and Noah get on there frequently and chat us up about all kinds of stuff. They solicit our feedback. They tell us about stuff before we hear about it on Steam Announcements.

But don't expect false hype: The team has learned the painful lesson about building the community up on things they can't deliver yet. Go back and listen to the Into the Warps before 112 and then since 112. They are more serious; more willing to say no and more willing to explain why. That's all due to community feedback, man.
  5. Chewdakka Regz First Blood!

This is the sort of thing I was getting at. This knowledge does slip past the casual user. I don't get on Discord because I don't have the time. I barely frequent the forum these days because I am less active than I was even 3 months ago.

This sort of information is the stuff I would expect to see stickied, bulleted, whatever you want to call it, at the top of a forum so that people such as me can come along and check the announcements page and move on again. This allows us to be up to date with the content without having to sift through pages of data to find the answers we want.

I havent watched a livestream in a long time because 60 minutes of my time is more valuable. I used to love the guy who made a thread highlighting the key points of each livestream so i didnt have to sit through the sometimes pointless filler that went on through 60 minutes.

For me, if a CM (or some other moderator/staff person/community member) could formulate all of that information into a bite-sized chunk at the top of the forum on a fairly regular basis I think you would find more people benefiting. It might not lead to an increase in players in the ork faction but at least it shows that the staff is committed in a small way to the community.

The community at the end of the day is not just the people in discord, or just the people on the forum, or just the people in the game. It is also the people who once bought the game but now have it gathering dust at the back of their steam archive. It is also the people who once downloaded it for free since F2p. You never know when the urge will take you to dust off your chainsword, having this information at your fingertips in order to get back up to date and back into the action might just be the difference between the player joining a game and them moving on to the next.

Hopefully this makes sense. Its not a flame, its a constructive criticism.