Background Image

Ign 4h Video Interwiev

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grigdusher, May 16, 2014.

1. Kaldor Draigo Kaldor-Draigo Well-Known Member

Thats what they will do most likely. They will then claim 'EXCLUSIVE E3 FOOTAGE!!!'. I'm pretty sure they've done this with other games in the past during E3. Mainly since they're too busy covering other shit live.
    Dark Knight likes this.
  2. Laanshor Laanshor Well-Known Member

Long. Feel free to ignore, as always. Just feel like quantifying the negative perspective on gaming reporting outlets without sniping.

My problem with IGN and gaming publications all round is that they aren't 'leaders' anymore. Everything is 'community contribution' and the false dichotomy BS. They're meant to know more than us, as experts in the industry providing new information and proper analysis. The fluffy-duck reporting where you read back a studio head's exact quotes and some rough impressions of your exclusive access isn't journalism. o_O

I'm not saying that there are no good preview articles around but they are an endangered species. And studios have learned to train the press.15-20 years ago someone would look at a game in development, ask the hard questions, state the facts, test the studio's mission against the actual product. For a savvy reader and not a blog-dog, having to go look up something technical (like a new engine design) or consider a revolutionary concept/approach made the articles worth reading :D

It was also tough public critique and devs used to change their product around that feedback and we didn't have major studios releasing tripe like Aliens:CM, well they did but we had enough warning to steer clear of the real turds. By the time the review lands, the day of release in some cases it's a little too late to cancel our pre-orders or make a realistic evaluation of worthiness. Everyone had their favorite writers and an opinion (or review score) was just a guide for the reader, the information was invaluable. Publications didn't live and die on whether BF4 deserved the 9.234/10 when the new COD only got a 9.232.

I know the gaming industry is taking the lead from cinema and being overly protective of their products, and it makes business sense in the short term: Marketing trumps design these days. A lot of professional reviewers are indeed arrogant shits who just like to naysay but they are a symptom of the climate. Honestly IGN, Escapist or someone like them should fire all those tools, hire the best and the brightest and put a high price on their (IGN's) market influence. Sell their good-will generating ability for deep and unbiased access, treat the IPs with respect and as WIP. And call out studios that keep the media deflector shields at full. And ffs stop having pro journalists read and respond to the comments section :rolleyes:. Trolls and the brain dead are egotistical enough, don't encourage them: Educate them. Then tell them to stfu :p

3. Exactly, I've looked at the floorplan for E3, Behaviour's booth would be only a 4 minute walk away.

As for what Laanshor wrote, I would have to agree. There was a time when our only connection to knowing what games were like before we bought them or got any news on events in the industry was via the press; back in the 90s I had to fully rely on PC Powerplay and N64 Magazine for all my info. But also back in those days news was restricted to Magazine publishing companies and thus they had no choice but to adhere to the standards set for publication of news. You were required to have a journalist licence, a publishing licence and degree; those things kept it professional. Don't need any of that on the internet. All they need to adhere to now are contractual agreements in the realm of when and how their allows to publish information stipulated by press embargo.
  4. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

5. Nergal Kadu Active Member

Joram likes this.
  6. FabricatorGeneral Unbihexium Forum Beta Tester

I... what? Squeenix? Are they really going to be the publisher that Miguel was looking for? I don't even know how to feel if that is the case.
  7. Bladerunner Bladerunner777 Well-Known Member

I guess not bad, Square Enix published Deus Ex 3 and that is one of my best games ever so I definitely have good memories connected to them, it's a good sign for me :).
    Laanshor likes this.
  8. Laanshor Laanshor Well-Known Member

Precisely that. I get that it's not a real money maker and that you're only as good a reporter as your partners allow you to be in some cases (the Dev studios do stonewall alright) but they could at least trawl forums and gather the intel on a gaming project for their readers. Maybe even ask questions of the Devs like we're encouraged to do, bE are always frank with us as long as we respect boundaries and some limits. I get more info from forum Dev trackers than I ever thought possible these days, so the studio philosophy and design ideas that go into making each game is publicly available. Waiting to be collected and disseminated. If only a major online publication had the means to collect and cover it at least monthly ...*cough* :confused:

I'm watching 6 WIP games at the moment and there is no shortage of article-worthy facts popping up on a daily/weekly basis ... But IGN has 2 bland articles about EC since announcement day at present. That's why I can't take them seriously as a 'news outlet'. Anyhoo, enough moaning :D
  9. Tyranos Tyranos Menial

LOL FORZA, I'm waiting all this time for a snippet of eternal crusade news, like some of you I thought "OOoh maybe it'll be the ign first article!". And what do I find...Forza.

Well played Tzeentch....well played. You'll make me fall to Chaos yet.
    Kaldor Draigo likes this.
  10. Dreadwing22 Dreads Prefectus

When the video comes out on ign. Everyone should boo ign on the comment section in protest.