Background Image

If Your Sticking To Eldar,

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by FuriousWalnuts, Oct 26, 2013.

1. So'Kiel So-Kiel Well-Known Member

Thanks for a quote! Anyway, personally I don't need to play other races, and if the Devs made some goodies-packed race-specific variants, I'd go for that)
    Lince likes this.
  2. Warmaster Nate Warmaster_Nate Well-Known Member

That seemed clear to me from the AMA as an option but perhaps I missed other potential purchase options. I never saw anything regarding buying factions piecemeal, but I could very well have just not seen it. I do know the GW2 pay option is there (as the post following with you agrees with me as well there) but if buying factions separately becomes an option, I wouldn't be opposed.
    AngryWalnuts likes this.
  3. I for one prefer this. I'd much rather pay for the whole thing and have access to everything without having to mess around with buying each individual race or, Gods forbid, even pay for it monthly.

All in, quite happy with the direction they took with this.
    windbringer and FreedomFighter08 like this.
  4. Choosing Eldar because other races are just stupid:

Empire of Man - bunch of fanatics, you pray to THE EMPRAH or you get exterminated, not to mention the guardsmen's lifespan is so short, you can compare them to flies
    Forces of Chaos - Oh yeah - I was one of them until i got the pointlessness of it - power hungry madmen, and most of them end as some demon's sex toy or other meatbag to play with, eventually.
    Green Tide - Just. Fungus. Very fun to watch and kill.
    Dagda and Arenth like this.
  5. Arvina Arvina Subordinate

That may be but what is the alternative? A reasonable utopian empire? The ultramarine empire is somewhat like this but they don't have to deal with chaos on a daily basis. The tyranids/necrons are a simpler foe than chaos even if they are just as deadly. The opposing force to corruption is a faith and fervour so naturally the Imperium uses that to survive.
  6. Ramiel Valanian Arkhona Vanguard

I love Eldar simply because I can Strike down the Mon-Keigh swiftly on hawks wings.
    AngryWalnuts and So'Kiel like this.
  7. So'Kiel So-Kiel Well-Known Member

I don't want to turn this topic into a conversation about mon'keigh so-called empire, but they are practically no different from chaos. The very point of their existence in a never-ending sacrifice to abominable thing that is not even a god. Their main army is designed that way, so their emperor would feast on them daily.
    Skulls for the Golden Throne.. only their emperor needs the skulls of his own people, not just any skulls.
    Lince likes this.
  8. Saelos Vuiet Active Member

Yes, practically, it's the same Crusade fought a different religion. Fighting for survival in one way or another like thwarting a grander scheme to ensure the survival of a thousand souls trapped in crystals or feeding on the enemies' souls to stop a Chaos God from devouring your essence is more my taste
    Ladarious, Lince and So'Kiel like this.
  9. Warmaster Nate Warmaster_Nate Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose I'd better explain myself as per the OP's request. I'm just answering the OP for myself, so please ignore it if you simply want to continue discussing the game:

Why do you see a fellow named Warmaster Nate, as a guardsmen, so adamant about the Eldar? It's not because the IG are being postponed for EC and this is a backup choice. No, the Eldar are my primary choice.

I've been Warhammerin' since middle school. When I started, I played Imperial Guard as they were the only army I could relate to, being a military child. I never heard of Eldar happening, never saw Eldar happening, and never met an Eldar player. I had no idea what they were. They were as distant to me as they are to an actual imperial citizen. Dawn of War 1 rolls around: Spess Muhreens are all you've got in the first game, and the Eldar show up as opposed 'protagonists' and I had no clue what was going on with them. They were appropriately enigmatic to me. As a side note: my nickname in high school was Keebler and I was known as a very elf-y fellow. I had already made this tag and avatar my account standard for Xbox LIVE, PSN, gmail, battle.net, the list goes on for days. I won't be changing it.

Then College comes! I befriended a myriad of Warhammer players and yet, still no Eldar players. I took interest in figuring out who they were, their backstory, and why they seemed so rare. After not terribly much work, I became the go-to lore guy for Xenos in general, still having been called elf-like my whole life. Then I'm approached by a Chaos Marines player who asks me, "I know everything I can about Imperial and Traitor history, but I don't know much of anything about the Eldar, you know the most, can you teach me all you know?" We then proceeded to talk lore for several hours on a school night, staying up past 5 am on the topic. I realized that I liked the Eldar a lot more than I thought, could relate to them more than I thought, appreciated their aesthetic more than I thought and understood them more than anyone else. On top of that, I was genuinely being called one simply because of my knowledge and how I look. My fall from Imperial faith was complete, and now I'm a devoted Eldar player.

I've also seen that my tactics are hilariously Eldar-y. If I lose, losses mount quick and I fall back. If I win, I cut down the entirety of the enemy force with effectively no losses. One game I allied with Grey Knights in a 2v2. We won, with the enemy cut down to a man, the Grey Knights had only one terminator left, and I had lost...only one Dire Avenger out of 1000 points. I lamented his loss well over the entire Grey Knights' army. Very, very Eldar.

Story of my life.
  10. That was beautiful Warmaster Nate.