Background Image

If Necrons Are Included, How Would They Work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChaplainRU55IO, Oct 20, 2013.

1. I hope they will be playable personally.
  2. I would like (personally) to not really have any recognition within the Necron's. Have them being emotionless, not giving a damn and killing every living thing they come across. Then having more distinction between the "higher" up ones like the various lords.
  3. Throne Throne Subordinate

Too late? Codex is years old at this point.
    Necrons aren't an enigmatic silver tide out to kill everything with a pulse in the galaxy. Haven't been for some time.
    They're a diverse, relatable assortment of dynasties with their own distinct attitudes, traditions, and values, more interested in rebuilding a lost empire than the Red Harvest.

Hell, you even see them sending love-letters and gifts to members of the Inquisition.
    (And I'm not even making that up)
  4. Yea, so I'm just going to have to live with it.
  5. Gylippus Gylippus New Member

I think it would be cool if the Necrons replaced the Tyranids as the NPC on worlds that could be Tomb Worlds. Would be an awesome way to introduce them into the game later on.
    Azurand and Zeentch like this.
  6. Stormbringer Wolffkhran Subordinate

Is it normal that I'm feeling intense amounts of pain because of the truth in this statement?
    Quothe and RU55IO like this.
  7. Throne Throne Subordinate

It's not abnormal.

I promise only enlightenment. No-one ever said anything about it being painless.
  8. Etherion Etherion Subordinate

I'm getting kind of tired of all the people asking for Necrons to be NPCs, and not even giving any arguments, or basing their arguments on old fluff. New codex, they all have minds still, they just lost their souls. Things like warriors have very little of their mind left, but they still have enough to feel fear for example. They are not just plain robots, they are people with metal bodies. Think cybermen from Doctor Who, except with some emotions. They have autonomy, to an extent, and have the ability to think, to an extent.

As for balancing them, I have a few ideas:
    Gauss weapons have a very low chance of slightly damaging vehicles, unless they are strong enough to damage it normally.
    Tesla weapons have a low chance of "arcing" to multiple enemies (Shoot one guy with lightning, and it bounces around his buddies a little).
    If they die, they have a low chance of getting back up, with reduced health. If they have no living allies nearby, they don't get back up.
    They would, if it's all immortals and up for playable classes, have similar durability to SM, and medium range firepower, but overall significantly less long ranged options (as in weapons with over 24" range in the TT), this way they stand up well in a firefight, but if long range weapons come into play, they get smoked. And keep in mind, almost anything can beat them in close combat. Their close combat class(es) would generally have very slow attacks.
    For bikes they could make either destroyers or tomb blades playable, although destroyers would be the better choice, simply because tomb blades are piloted by warriors, while destroyers are pretty much flying immortals
    Playable classes could include immortals for basic range, lychguard for close combat (Flayed Ones are too insane and random to be playable), crypteks, if psykers are included, as the psyker equivalent, and as I said earlier, destroyers either for long range support, or replacing bikes.
    SovietSorrows, Wolffkran and Throne like this.
  9. Throne Throne Subordinate

A fine post, and a rather dashing avatar...
  10. Matobar Matobar Moderator / Keeper of the Light

Honestly, I've never poked my nose into a Necron Codex. My only experience with them comes from Ciaphas Cain, and to him, they're emotionless, unstoppable killing machines, who he fears more than any other enemy of the Imperium.

Isn't that how it should be?