Background Image

If Necrons Are Included, How Would They Work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChaplainRU55IO, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Throne Throne Subordinate

Eh, there's still no reason at all to have them NPC only.

They're not mindless, or significantly more resilient than forces available to other factions. (Reanimation protocols are more common but less reliable than most Invulnerable saves. Call that a draw.)
    Their weapons don't make for harder hitting squads than are available to other forces (standard weapons can glance anything if they get lucky, but they have to ride that luck since they don't get the weapon options of other factions).
    On top of that, they're slow as get-out and crumple like paper in close combat (a few dedicated edge cases aside).

They don't need to 'butcher the lore' to make them semi-balanced with everyone else. They already are.
    SovietSorrows likes this.
  2. A monolith would be the ultimate mech on the battlefield. Not only would it destroy everything, It will also be a mobile spawn point for the rest of the troops!
    Shracken likes this.
  3. Locutus Locutus Arkhona Vanguard

At least Necron players respawning and returning to the fight after they are "killed" fits well with the lore. It's like how they can phase out and repair themselves.

Meh. Don't care much if they are added or not. They used to be one of my favorite races, but that all got destroyed once shit Matt Ward came in and pussified them and ruined their background.
    Xanxas, Quothe, So-Kiel and 2 others like this.
  4. Matobar Matobar Moderator / Keeper of the Light

They could battle with the 'Nids for control of the tunnels. Three way fight between you and the two NPC people?
  5. Fireeye Fireeye Well-Known Member

Necrons Warriors arguably could only work as NPCs. Human players would have to be Immortals or Crypt Guards, maybe even minor Lords, simply because only the latter have but a resemblance of free will. Without free will, the game would play like a rail shooter for the necrons.
  6. Throne Throne Subordinate

Warriors, Scarabs, Wraiths, Spiders and such would be unsuitable.
    Immortals, Lychguard, Deathmarks, Praetorians and Crypteks would work just fine.

Destroyers and Flayed Ones.... your guess is as good as mine. They're all psychotic, but this is a game about separating bodies into widespread piles of limbs through one method or another.
    Shracken likes this.
  7. So'Kiel So-Kiel Well-Known Member

Personally I'd like to see pre-retcon Necrons, the true ones.
    Their new version disgusts me. They are not a bit scary anymore.
    Quothe, Locutus, Fino and 1 other person like this.
  8. archaonn New Member

I would love to see the Necrons as a playable race. Although I wont play them, I would love to fight them.
  9. Throne Throne Subordinate

It's the Borg problem.
    When they're this implacable enemy intent on doing their thing without giving a single damn on your opinion about it, cannot be stopped, cannot be reasoned with, that's close to scary. But it's also pretty shallow.

Giving them more character and identity gives them more depth, but makes them less enigmatic, more familiar, less scary.

Compare Best of Both Worlds era Borg with post-First Contact (or worse still, post-Scorpion) Borg.
    More relatable, thus less alien.

Necrons have gone through the same with the 2011 codex. More character, more depth, less scary.
    But whichever you prefer, for better or worse the Tomb Kings in Space are the canon Necrons.

(Edit to add: and I suspect it's unfamiliarity with -or rejection of- the new lore that's causing the 'ZOMG! Necrons can only be NPCs!!11!' posts)
    Xanxas and BearGryllsVituhmins like this.
  10. Bjorn Hardrada Bjorn_Hardrada Well-Known Member

Matt Ward is an evil son of a bitch that im surprised they let fuck up the lore so badly
    Psychopski, fatrat, Quothe and 4 others like this.