Background Image

I did a thing and it worked better than anticipated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rheeva, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

I was bored and started making a ranked list of EC classes, added a point system and, thinking about why which class would be stronger or weaker, kept adjusting the ranking. The Final result is still not accurate, but it makes a lot more sense than I thought it would, Eldar being either at the top- or bottom, Chaos mostly leading, LSM in the middle, Tacticals and Heavies higher than melee.
    I should mention that there was probably a lot of confirmation bias, but my main classes are to be found at the very top- and bottom respectively.

I am aware of the flaws for the most part, but would be interested in how I could change the parameters to compensate for them.
    Also, the 'changes' are a preliminary selection of ideas, some of which I have adressed previously, others based on stuff I read on the forums.
    They are secondary to the document itself, not its actual purpose!

The 'traits' are based on systems found in many RPG's where certain attributes are normalized across classes regardless of nature or origin for a common expression. I dont distinguish between 'tough' meaning 10 or 15 EHP, it simply implies that this class, on average, can take a bit more damage.
    Sily, Forj and Vae like this.
  2. Ivik McDinkleStein Jimmy_Neutron Steam Early Access

I appreciate the idea behind this, and it looks like you've tried to keep the numbers and scoring as unbiased as possible. But that play bias will always skew the results so I cant trust this for realtive data on which classes perform the best, especially when this cant take into account situations in game. I.e. Fortress defending, high ground, first sight, flanking. etc theres a variety of variables that are missing that will hinder the final score. but it is a great rough feel for where the classes stack, give or take 2-3 positions.
  3. DongSlayer DongSlayer Steam Early Access

@NoahWard can you help us with a bunch of average stats for the same ? Thanks.
    EpicHiLuss likes this.
  4. Asyran Eldritch Arkhona Vanguard

I agree with most of it. I would just swap around Dark Reaper and Fire Dragon IMO.

Also Scorpion should be a lot higher.
  5. Durash Durash Arkhona Vanguard

Dire avenger rank 19/22

[​IMG]
    ProteusVM, Iyan, Elector and 2 others like this.
  6. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

It is not meant to be more than a rough sketch.
    There is a lot in here I, personally, dont agree with. For instance I believe Ork melee should be placed lower and Scorpion higher.
    But it feels wrong to manipulate the data just to get the expected results, I already did that a little.
    Without regards to the actual point scores, I think the 'tiers' are accurate at least.

Didnt make a lot of sense to me to see DA lower than melee classes. But I am powerless here.
  7. Krayt Krayt Preacher

Can you explain to me How the traitor assault is better than the shield GA ?
    When i look at your tier liest it looks like you just thrown random numbers at the screen
    Apothecary better than sorcerer/warlock? wtf ...

Warlock has -25 on ranged like scorpion and banshee..... do you know warlock has access to destructor? wich is far more powerfull than a shuriken pistol?

Fire dragon 20 pts in AV
    Havoc 0 pts in AV
    . . . .
    sorry? lascanon? multimelta?

The stats.... EVERY ork should have a +5 or +10 in the stats for the stupid 40% hs damage reduction
    Why the sorcerer has same stats points than devastator?

doing a tier list based on rpg attributes doesnt work... or at least those numbers should not be so random
    EpicHiLuss likes this.
  8. My thoughts:

Apothecary same support level as painboy, disregarding dokgrenade size?

Special flat out 5 for Ork waaagh, 10 for stealth and banshee scream, I guess? Though it seems like you added stealth to striking scorpion melee as well.

Also you combine equipment modifiers, like Nurgle an Slaanesh for the Traitor, so basically classes with more loadout possiblities get higher in ranking, regardless if the equipment can be combined or not.

In the end I feel like it raises more questions than it answers.
  9. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

You should read stuff. My own 'ranking' is widely different, this is merely playing around with numbers to see if it works out.
    A lot of things in there are wrong either subjectively or objectively, the interesting part is that it still makes a lot of sense.
    What I am trying to figure out is how I could change parameters for a more accurate result without simply just making it meet my own expectations. For instance I could always come up with a reason why Dire Avenger should rank higher, but I am looking for an attribute I can apply to several cases and not just one, specific class.

As for the 'RPG-traits', I actually think those are great. Surely if I used accurate numbers like +2, +3, -7, it would change the rating a lot, but this simplification works great for an overview.

For your questions specifically:
    -Apothecary, in my opinion, is the weakest Support but the strongest Support class, Apothecary (and Painboy) heals are a lot less pug-firendly and a lot more defensive but not substantially weaker. The Zombeacon is great if you use it right, as it allows you to throw and forget, focussing on combat.
    -I agree with Shieldbro>TA, but only becaus eof the Shield. However, if a shield is that great, why doesnt the Slugga Boy perform better in combat?
    ANGRY-MARINE and Njord-Halfhand like this.
  10. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

-I adressed the 'incompatible' modifiers in the textbox below.
    And yes, a class with more options gets ranked higher. It leads to some inaccuracies, but it also makes sense.
    5 is for the headshot-modifier, not WAAAGHH, as I beleive it has little impact on the game.
    All reasoning for the points is at the sides. For instance SS receives a bonus of 10 relative to other melee becasue Eldar melee is, still, slightly stronger (Eldar melee classes are not) and because of the Lashsword.