Background Image

How many hours a week should the devs spend playing their game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wiawyr, Feb 25, 2017.

?

How many hours per week do the devs need to spend playing their game on the live server?

1. One hour per week.

2. Five hours per week.

3. Ten hours per week.

4. Fifteen hours per week.

5. All of Saturday and Sunday.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Yeah that's what I figured, but then the point still stands was MoT dominating Sorc mark choices over the other two?
  2. Asyran Eldritch Arkhona Vanguard

Michael Chan has been playing a lot these past few weeks from what I heard.
  3. Really you didn't like MoT Sorc before the nerfs?

I love Boon and paired it with FF back before they broke the hell out of it.
  4. Nether Nether Master

I completely agree, but one major thing I think you needed to add to this is that each week the Devs can only play faction x, rotating to the next one on the following week ext, until they have completed all 4 factions to then restart the cycle.

This way they would understand where all the races stand and what they are struggling with.
  5. Redfingers Recruit

I think most all developers almost rarely to never play their own game.

We know this because we used to know a developer that played for Tripwire Interactive named Ramm Jaeger that would show up visibly on his Steam profile onto a populated server in Red Orchestra for an hour once a month.

Ask yourself, those of you that have played this game as much as I have - for hundreds of hours - how many times have you seen Katie or Brent or Nathan? I've maybe seen them once on live and on each scheduled UAT playtest.

So they definitely "play," they just don't really play it like a gamer plays a game - where it's like a hobby or something you do for an hour every day. That's the disconnect. Developers in general just simply don't play games like we play games. That's part of why I wish developers would take on a mentor, someone who was passionate about playing, but not a forum gremlin - like ZoranTheBear, or something, , and asked them to pour their heart out once a week on the state of the game. I think games where a really serious clanplayer or competitive player is close to the dev team are some of the best games.
    Praeter likes this.
  6. Katie Fleming KatieFleming Former Community Manager

Well I can tell you personally I logged several hundred hours before we went on Steam, so that data will never be shown anywhere. I've literally played the game daily in the almost 3 years I've been here. Every UAT test, most Twitch shows, and every single day for smoketests. So like I mentioned, what you see on our Steam accounts is not indicative of how much we play :)

Of course non-devs will likely play more, you're not busy working on making the game ;) Although our QA guys are probably the exception!!
    Eldritch and KharnVarus like this.
  7. Kharn KharnVarus Eternal Battles Moderator

It should be fairly obvious QA does most the testing on whether or not things are valid for release. Pretty sure it's just Wia acting dumb again, or he is dumb, honestly I don't know anymore. Usual trolling again.
    mrbunny and duffmek like this.
  8. Fangz Fangz Confessor

Voted 15, but what I had in mind is 2 hours a day, across factions.
    Only then would they really know "the state of the crusade".
    Dakiaris and duffmek like this.
  9. SiliconMoose Recruit

Could you take over from Brent then? Because given how badly he gets stomped every dev stream he either isn't spending enough time on the release version playing with actual players on the actual servers and networks that the game runs on, or he just isn't capable of playing at a competitive level.
    Deathwish likes this.
  10. Redfingers Recruit

I haven't really seen either Katie or Brent on live, at least not during the afternoon.

I've been playing pretty much on a daily basis since patch 20 during beta. I think I may have seen Brent one time. So if they're playing daily I'm not really sure when they're playing.
    Celestia likes this.