Background Image

How about we replace the in-game tips with actual useful advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zael, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

Map: Pegasus Station
    Objective: Capture and Hold
    We are taking this position in the name of the Emperor, three Strategic points are crucial to our offense, taking them would certainly yield valuable data and break the enemy's spirit. We also need time to reinforce our grasp on the territory and dig in, so make sure you hold the areas we take.
    Be wary! The more ground we take from them, the harder they will fight to defend what they still have.
    Control Area B would give us access to a depot of powerful armoury that is currently at the hands of our enemies, take it to turn the tides with the help of powerful machines before they get corrupted by the Warp.

The biggest fight is not always the most important one. Keep an eye on the map to see, where you are needed most.

Map: Blackbolt Defense Station
    Objective: Throw them back

The Orks attempt an incursion into our territory and this Human fortress is the perfect place to break the Green Tide. Two consoles in the west control the automated defenses, they can not fall or they will flood into the fortress. If we dont cotrol these areas, we will be overrun.
    The main tower in the south is crucial to controlling the fortress itself and its buildings. This is the heart of our defense and we have to hold it at all costs.
    Destroying the primitive machinery of the attackers would certainly give us a huge advantage here.

If you see an opportunity to capture a point, even surrounded by enemies, use it. Or provide cover and distraction for a brave soul who made an attempt.
  2. Off the top of my head, I can't actually think of any tips I've seen on the loading screen that are wrong or bad. They're just little reminders, info about Ork Waaagh, class roles etc.

Handy tips that cycle while loading aren't going to be able to coach players fully on the rules of engagement for each map and gamemode or metagame tactics that the community has developed over EC's lifetime unless they spend upwards of five minutes on said screen (and even my old toaster on external HDD didn't take that long to get ingame).

Ultimately, if we want these hypothetical new players to learn, someone needs to teach them actively in game or leave them to figure it out for themselves.

Just yesterday I was playing LSM for my sins and I was rescued under fire at the first capture attempt by an Ultramarine Apothecary. Manually. So while I appreciate the sentiment that the game lacks a solid tutorial, I don't think the people who need to know this stuff are going to see it unless it's shoveled into their face.

I've always been the type to hunt out tips for multiplayer games so the idea of walking into a game like this blind is ludicrous to me, so maybe I'm talking out of my arse here.
  3. NurgleBurger NurgleBurger Steam Early Access

Maybe once but not really anymore when you have things like the heavy bolter, tempest, plasma cannon and grav cannon which can fair just as well in mid to close range now. Suppression weapons can do wonders on the front line for laying down suppressive fire to let melee get in range, the PC cannon with it's snap shot can kill just as much in close quarters than it can from a far, grav cannons work better the closer you are due to the insane recoil and then there's the tempest launcher which is a TK/suicide/annihilation weapon from any range you use it.

I'd say the in game tips were written at a time when things were intended to be a certain way but have vastly changed since that time and also they should be tips, not something forcing you to play a certain way, they are there to give a helping hand and advice so there's no issue in telling people that big squads can be more beneficial than smaller ones. It's true and it's helpful to everyone.
  4. Pretty sure I saw a Golf Squad attacking Harkus once. That sort of says it all really.
    KidMeatball likes this.
  5. KidMeatball KidMeatball Steam Early Access

lol that is so bad.
  6. Eagle 11 Eagle_11 Well-Known Member

Once in a Blackbolt match, playing as defenders we had an rhino that could not be spawned upon that have sit idle until end of match, and thats because apparently it did not belong to any squad at all. We tried cycling through squads, creating new ones in the hopes to reclaim it to no yield.
    My theory about what happent is that it was spawned by an micro squad, who then either got merged, or all its inhabitants quitted leaving the rhino in a limbo, it lost track of which squad it belongs to.
    Normally, if an Rhino was created by charlie squad, and then all in charlie gets merged to another the rhino will keep functioning as its spawn once Charlie squad gets recreated.
    But it did not that time so im unsure what happened.
  7. cant do, not enough animators
    Corie likes this.
  8. Zael Zael Well-Known Member

As soon as the workshop comes, I'm gonna learn Blender and f**king do it myself then.
    Aidwell and Gashmangla like this.
  9. That's the spirit!
    Aidwell likes this.
  10. NurgleBurger NurgleBurger Steam Early Access

[​IMG]
    Aidwell likes this.