Background Image

Horde PvE too difficult?

Discussion in 'PVE Discussion' started by Slendykins, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Mr.Slendykins Sockman Slendykins Steam Early Access

From my experiences of the new "Horde" gamemode I am disappointed to say the least. I have not had a single match that got past wave 5, nor have I had any worthy rewards for getting to wave 5. On top of this I've not noticed any differences between the difficulties. Lair is more rewarding and less difficult than Horde for the time needing to be invested to actually achieve decent req and LP.

So what we have here is a gamemode which has no value to invest time into, because with random players you're only going to bag yourself 1k req and 2LP. I was incredibly hyped for this gamemode as I thought it would be an excellent experience, quite contrary it's vice versa.

Hopefully campaigns do not take inspiration from this disaster.
  2. Aislinn Aislinn First Blood!

You can do well in horde. Just never think that staying in one spot is a good idea.
    It is going to be difficult with random people, though, because it really needs you to pick weapons/survivability gear accordingly.
  3. Mr.Slendykins Sockman Slendykins Steam Early Access

You can, i'm not saying it's impossible but it's just the fact that when wave 5 comes you just get swarmed and a warrior joins in for the fun and it's just death really. Warrior breaks through one side and grunts just overrun ya, I'd understand if the gaunts ran away or something and you got to fight the warrior with a few shooty gaunts just like in Lair, but you don't. And it's really frustrating because it's poorly implemented. You have a ton of enemies that are faster than you and can destroy you in seconds and you also have a big dude who is the same speed as you and is incredibly aggressive.

On a personal note I absolutely hate the grace period time, 4 seconds and the fact that you're timed for each wave and if you Don meet killing standards because you couldn't resupply at the ammo box and got swarmed then ooooooops, cya.
  4. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

Warriors can be dealt with using anti tank weapons. These weapons tend to deal extreme damage and stun the warrior, allowing you to stunlock it with a variety of weapons, such as the Power Fist, Reaper Launcher, Plasma Cannon, etc.

As for the 'grace period' between waves, simply leave a termagant alive at the end of each wave and you can extend each wave to its max duration, giving you plenty of time to resupply or explore the map for good positions to hold from.
  5. Mr.Slendykins Sockman Slendykins Steam Early Access

Wowie, I need to use a plasma cannon some time soon, and I seriously never knew that because no one seems to use one, I know about power fists being used but in Horde the guy using it gets swarmed and destroyed.

This is what everyone has been doing but someone loves to kill it because they're either unaware that it stops the wave from ending or they're impatient and not that strategically adept.

Still though thanks for the insight there, I may use a plasma cannon to take out chunks of tyranids at a time, how much do the single shots deal on the gaunts? Instakills?
  6. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

I havn't tried it since the nerf, so I'm not sure, I would guess that it would one shot gaunts. It goes without saying I'm sure, but I'm gunna say it anyway - Be very careful not to kill your own team, it's easier than you might expect.
  7. Mr.Slendykins Sockman Slendykins Steam Early Access

So after a match of using it with a devastator I can say the following:

It instakills normal and venom gaunts in 1 shot with headshots. (Normal fire)
    It overheats too easily.
    Takes 2 shots to normally kill a gaunt. (Normal fire)
    The charge shot is only worth it for Warriors.
    The ammo capacity is very good.
    It's quicker to overheat and cooldown than wait to cooldown.
    It's too slow to be effective.
  8. rach Sentinel Arkhona Vanguard

[​IMG]
    here you go fam
    put this together after a successful round with pubs
    JojoKasei and Slendykins like this.
  9. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

I haven't played the horde mode enough to tell whether it is too difficult, but what I have experienced so far has confirmed my suspicions about its entertainment value. I'll be avoiding it as I find surviving hordes too boring, no matter how difficult it is.
  10. thejammy thejammy New Member

I have stopped playing Horde mode because the failure rate of the pick up groups I have been part of has been 100%. I was looking forward to this mode a lot, especially for the variety, but in ~10 attempts I had 0% success. I grant you that I play in pick up groups only but it still feels too difficult. I haven't passed wave 7 yet. I have a level 5 and know the game well.

Of course the developers have telemetry and can see the actual % across a wide cross section. My experience is of course anecdotal but it feels like Horde mode requires very good team work and a good mixture of classes and weapons. Pick up groups probably don't have all of these attributes in a single group. I will be interested to see what happens but a game that is too punitive will lose my interest.

The large number of bugs in the newest update don't help.
    Slendykins likes this.