Background Image

Hit Detection, Hit Indicator - Something's wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alerius, Sep 4, 2017.

1. -VI-Alerius Alerius Active Member

For a long time I was under the impression that the disparity of (server side) hit detection and (client side) hit indicator was due to lag / network hick ups between server and involved clients - in short "IT magic".
    But then I played PvE recently. There was a (ranged) Tyranid standing slightly behind cover and shooting over it for ~ 30 seconds. I had a HB braced on cover. I shoot at it - wasted 30+ bullets - it not even had a scratch even though the hit indicator seemed to confirm (red flashing) that every single one of my bullets hit it.
    I observered a similar behaviour in PvP matches - but as I said above I thought it was due to "IT magic".
    Something seems off... There were situations (PvP) where I completely missed my target (visually and hit indicator wise), but it was still hit by my bullets (confirmation through kill).
    Has anyone else observered such situations?
  2. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

As far as I can tell, it's when you are hitting it on your screen but for some reason the server thinks there's an object in the way. Have had it happen before and always fixed by moving slightly to the right/left to move away from any object that might be blocking the shots for the server.
  3. ghoul mondragon Recruit

had same problem here and there daily, but yesterday was amazing... I shoot one guy with 10% hp climbing a box from behind... 5~6 shots red aim confirmed, full visibility and all. rush to rescue a buddy then he killed me cus I don't confirm the kill.
    Firskon likes this.
  4. Forgrim Forj Battle-Skald

I've been told, but can't confirm, that the Red indicator and pulsing hit markers are client side, whereas actual hit detection is server side. This partially explains messed up hit detection.
    DrDooManiC and ProteusVM like this.
  5. -VI-Alerius Alerius Active Member

Maybe the cover object was out of boundary, but the Tyranid could hit me. It was peeking out while I was shooting at it. This hit indication is pretty misleading in most cases - overall the async between client and server (what is happening on your screen and what is actually happening) seems to be worse or less disguised than in other games.

These situations are very rare but I had them as well. Shooting enemies in plain sight within mid or close range and not hitting once.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure hit detection and hit indicator are seperated between server and client. But still it just very partially explains some of those situations. Thing is, I'm under the impression that this extreme out of sync situations are due to those service- round-trips (client - server - backend - server - client). I'm in europe, "close" to the Frankfurt/Main server cluster, my ping is about 40-50ms. I'm playing on European servers most of the time, but sometimes I switch to NA. The difference for me is, that the hit detection works "faster" (I hit something and the health bar feedback on my enemy is rather quick) and the overall "async" moments are fewer on NA servers than on European server, which is very strange and counter-intuitive.
  6. Forgrim Forj Battle-Skald

That is very weird, and yet correlates with my own experience: I've got high latency on both servers, but the one with the higher ping (EU=380ms) tends to have less bullshit than the one with lower (US=280ms), even though the lag is greater.
  7. My favorite is not being to be able to hit the deployed Heavy Bolter on the ledge above me even though I'm clearly seeing their arms and hitting them in the arms yet they can sure as shit hit me.
    Forj likes this.