Background Image

Help Desperately Needed For Unjust Charge!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Wolffe, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Wolffe Wolffe Subordinate

Dear fellow crusaders.

Early yesterday I was charged unjustly with failing to provide a sample of breath when it was impossible for me to do so. My completely sober self was driving along when I was stopped, then asked to take a breathalyzer. I'm afflicted with severe scoliosis and a rare form of dwarfism. The result? Severely reduced lung volume (when compared to the average young male). After 9 tries, I was unable to sustain a long enough exhale into the device to provide any reading. The federal RCMP of the town Stony Plain then charged me with a criminal offense: failing to provide a breathalyzer sample when demanded to do so despite me mentioning several times my conditions were preventing me from complying. It is also worth stating my license has been destroyed, which will require it being reinstated.

My car was immediately impounded, and I now face criminal charges with a court date in Stony Plain (I live in Edmonton) for April.

Being on disability & currently being as I'm moving soon and broke to boot, I can in no way financially deal with this absurd crisis. It is why with a heavy heart I ask generous souls for their assistance, for even If the charges are dropped, police impound lot fees, towing fees and other fees that may apply. Even if you win, you lose.

I have created a page here with more information. Even if you do not donate, please share this with anyone you believe would be interested in supporting the cause which I am now engaged.
  2. Just wondering...

a) Why on earth would you drive without your license (when you say destroyed, what do you mean exactly?)
    and
    b) Couldn't you have/why didn't you offer to provide a blood sample as an alternative?

I'm from AUS, so I don't quite know how your laws work over there, hence why I am asking.
  3. Wolffe Wolffe Subordinate

I had my license at the time. Here they destroy it immediately upon being charged with any drunk driving related charge. I was not charged for being drunk. I was charged for failing to provide a breath sample.

Under the law if the peace officer has reasonable grounds to believe the person cannot complete the breath test due to physical disability a blood test should be administered. The cop today said he didn't believe I was reasonably incapable (he thought I was lying and just failing it on purpose).
  4. Yeah..damn you for inconveniencing him /sarcasm

What was so hard about giving you a blood test.
    Sounds more like typical laziness on the cops part than anything else.

Honestly it sounds like you still have decent cause for contention, I think you will win your court case.

It is sad to hear your story though, I'll pass the link around.
  5. Wolffe Wolffe Subordinate

I kept trying to say I was not able to complete it. I went into it thinking that I could pass it, but it became apparent I couldn't after I failed the first few times to blow long enough. As far as the cop was concerned procedure was followed so he saw no reason to administer the blood test. Of course today he said if I had lifted my shirt up to show him my handicap he may have took me for a blood test instead, but that's all after the fact. I may not have been adamant or clear enough about my medical conditions.

Any ways thanks for the help.