Background Image

Helmet-less Eldar (Male and Female)

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by Asheru, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Saphirone Water_Snake Steam Early Access

That look so awesome ! It's probably going to be a pick for my eldar characters !
  2. Brother Auxilio Vallaeus Renners Well-Known Member

Do not fall for the Eldar look like Humans with pointy ears meme.

Make sure the Eldar have slightly elongated faces, and gaunt features.

Relic Entertainment seemed to forget this, and made all their Eldar just look like Humans. Now everyone thinks this is the case.
    TheEmprahsWorst likes this.
  3. Velenor Subordinate

if they're up to the ask, just getting a bunch of different faces would be fine. Either way I hope they keep in mind the alien eyes.
  4. Every change requires a new model. Sadly that said because the game has no head sliders the heads are all going to look similar. Things that will make the heads look different will be the "masks" and hair styles. But even these will be limited to a few different looks more than likely. Looking at the new Codex Craftworlds there is a page that shows male and female Eldar heads and that is where I made the head model base from. If you don't like em no one will force you to use them. I have 3 more mask combos I am currently working on and once they are done I am going to see if I can get some simple animations to work. The eyes were something I've been going over time and time again and after some debate I am going with the following description as the look:

penetrating and slightly slanted, almond-shaped eyes

I know not everyone is going to be happy with what I am doing here but as I am not a professional model maker I am going to do what I can with what I have. Will everyone be happy with it? Probably not but I don't have skills or the resources to make something everyone would be happy with. I am working for the happy middle ground and just have to hope people like it.

I will be talking to the devs this week and releasing some of the complete work images later.
    Sily, ProteusVM, Bugz and 1 other person like this.
  5. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

In regards to the facial expression/lack of animation - something I think would work really nicely is a 'combat expression' - detached from the horror around them and simply focusing on the fight and staying alive. A key part of that is ensuring the eyes are wide open, pupils dilated and the face is otherwise blank.

A great expression to mimic is the thousand yard stare - if you can get that right, animating the face won't be a huge issue. It might look a bit awkward on an Eldar when taunting but it'll probably be the best 'neutral' face you can make without any animation and won't look off in the middle of a fight if you do somehow or for some reason decide to take the time to take a peek at your face.

The expression you've got on the models at the moment is actually pretty similar but some more could be done to make the eyes seem just as in-the-moment as the face is, the shape doesn't really matter too much so long as the pupils look unfocused. Something like this image:

[​IMG]
    Krayt likes this.
  6. Great looking stuff Asheru! I know some people have commented on the technical side of things but really I think folks forget that 40k is all about the rule of cool. As long as it looks good I'll overlook the little details.
  7. Saphirone Water_Snake Steam Early Access

Hope things are going well on your side creating them Asheru.

Keep us updated when you got something to show off, I'm really excited about this addition !
    Cyborg_Dragon likes this.
  8. The helmet less heads are still going to be a thing as soon as we get official word on the limits we have to work with. Right now I am just waiting to hear from the devs about what kind of limits I have on the poly count and if I can submit any form of keyframe animations that would make the heads blink.
    Safreadis, Sily and Cyborg_Dragon like this.
  9. Drakkoth Krypto Arkhona Vanguard

Is it too much to hope these in the next patch? I'd settle for getting 1 of these in this patch and maybe the rest spread out as they get approved.
  10. The workshop has to be put in first and then they can be submitted.