Background Image

Ground Assault w/ Shield

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by Slayer88, May 18, 2017.

1. WarlordKnight Recruit

Another thing to note is Dbash does increased damage vs shields.
  2. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

Neglectable damage. (dbash does 30 damage normally btw )
    The shield does regen during fighting aswell btw..

Shield HP also isnt HP but durability my shield has 125 dura but can still take multiple Heavy attacks doing well over 150 damage each before breaking. i'm not sure how damage and durability relate to each oter tho, there seems to be some sort of damage reduction being applied.
  3. CMDante CMDante Arkhona Vanguard

Just melta them, it's funny.
  4. XavierLight XavierLight Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the durability loss be the SA's impact stat, rather than SA's damage?
  5. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

It probably is come to think of it , but then the question arises of what the impact of say a bolt gun would be ? and is the bonus damage to shield from Dbash just a bonus to the impact of the weapon you are wielding , or ,, what . so many things ..so little information.
  6. Fangz Fangz Confessor

A trick with most shield bros: most of them love quick attacking, so you could bait them to drop their shield and swing if you close distance proactively.
    Walk straight in and dbash to stun them and get to the juicy meat.
    Risks include getting killed because some are smarter than you think.
  7. Rathael Rathael Arkhona Vanguard

Don't ever fast or strong attack a shield. It burns your durability unnecessarily and makes it easier for them to break you. Nothing stops them from bashing you either, but you are able to roll away before they stun you if you are fast. Still, there's no point in doing this. Shields always win the durability race if you hit the shield.

Dbash stuns them through the shield regardless, and stuns them for as long as any other time you land the Dbash stun... giving you lots of free-damage time. Also, they generally don't dodge the bash stun, because they are so busy turtling. Even if they do dodge the bash, you can dodge any follow-up attacks they do... thereby avoiding any damage they might try to deal to you for spamming bashes at them.

Actually, given the fact that they can dodge out of a Dbash stun after fast attacking you, it's actually better for you if they shield turtle. It's easier to stun them, and they often don't notice it as easily while turtling.

You could try running a high-impact weapon like a maul, axe or impact-mod and break their weapon (not the shield) as fast as possible... forcing them to turtle behind the shield. Then you bash them for free since there's no other way they can defend themselves other than dodging away from you. Once they are hit by the bash stun, it's Slaanesh-up-the-back-entrance time. Try not to hit the shield. Ever. That's what they want you to do.

Failing that, swords deal the most damage during a stun due to their ability to hit twice before the stun wears off. If you're looking for a quick kill on a shield turtle, swords are the best this way... but A skilled shield user will properly engage you in melee properly and occasionally throw in an unexpected block to deplete your durability before his, instead of just fully committing to either melee moves or shield turtle.

I've never tried engaging a shield with a fist. @Jencent will know more about that than anyone else. I'm not sure if the impact on the fist is enough to quickly smash through a shield or not. I suspect the high impact probably hurts a shield a lot... but you still lose your own durability regardless.