Background Image

Give us the Sourcecode once this is over?

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by DrDooManiC, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Totally possible, as said, i am not brother-Lawyer ^^ Thanks for the crash-course
  2. Covi Doomness1000 Recruit

The cleanest legal solution would probably be what bE did when they first started Eternal Crusade. They bought the assets from the unfinished Dark Millennium, and then got their own license to start work on their own game.
    I'm a software developer and given how much time the team has put into "systems" with very little to show the playerbase I would bet that the codebase is a mess that was rushed to get a product out and they're trying to clean it up right now. So it would probably be easier to just start from scratch on the code.

If fans really want to do something this is what I would suggest:
    • Do a go-fund-me or some such to get the money needed for the following steps (probably find out how much money would be needed for each first)
    • Buy the assets from bE (given that EC is probably a drain on their resources right now, they would probably sell)
    • Purchase a license from GW (you'll probably need a shell company or some such in order to even approach them for this)
    • and hire an outsourcing company to make the game core (the biggest point-of-failure in fan-made games is usually that they underestimate how much coding is required to make a game.)
    The more assets and design you can do yourselves, the cheaper the outsourcing costs will be. I would suggest you have at least one programmer on your team though so that the outsourcing company doesn't screw you over. The company I work for has had some pretty crappy experiences with outsource companies, but we've had some good ones too.

Those are my thoughts, take it or leave it. The wh40k community is one that would probably rally around such a project. You'd just need a good, dedicated team, and the funds to pull it off.
    LOBOTRONUS likes this.
  3. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

That's more or less what BE did...
    and look where that got us...
  4. Covi Doomness1000 Recruit

Yup. Like I said, its just my thoughts since this thread was basically about salvaging game code. Though there definitely are some lessons from EC that I think a future team could learn from to avoid arriving at the same end. Something about big dreams and promises, treating the community with respect, etc. etc.
  5. Viking Vking Arkhona Vanguard

that is an understatement in it self.

"its just a button how hard can it be hurrdurr"
  6. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

Why GW hasn't started their own digital studio is beyond me

its like:
    GW: no we don't wanna be rich... we don't wanna be the wow killer
    we don't like making ez money. we like to struggle with cheap plastic's and misprinted books we then have to edit after being printed because .. yeah 1950's tech yeaaaahhhh
    LOBOTRONUS likes this.
  7. If GW did it you'd have to buy bolt shells with real gold and pay a massive markup overseas... I'm not exactly sad that they haven't.
  8. Doge TheAngryDoge Active Member

Even if this was not the case, the large power differences between the factions would make balancing a nightmare or set off a warpstorm of rage about lore accuracy.
  9. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

And it will make millions .. just like all the shit EA turns out ..