Background Image

Game Ui/hud, What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cupcakeunleashed, Dec 5, 2014.

1. The style would fit SM very well (and CSM to an extent, since they use imperial tech), however the HUD looks rather cluttered. In my opinion, all the elements, except the target indicators, should be decreased in size. The image on top left serves no purpose and should be removed. The flavor text in bottom left could be used as a chat box. In that case, it should only appear when a new message is received, or when the player is typing something.

On a separate note, it seems everybody has a fairly good idea on how SM and CSM HUDs should look like, but there are very few ideas for Ork and Eldar.
    NicolasBrunoni likes this.
  2. Shonedar Shonedar Well-Known Member

Since the hud is still work in progress and with testing coming closer, I'll just support everything proposed here as ideas for the team to investigate. After getting to test things in a "live" environment, I'll probably have more solid ideas to talk about.

What is certain for me, is that the UI team is close to finding that sweet spot between artistic design, functionality and "need to show info"...I like how they approach the subject and their ideas on the subject.
  3. Bez Berzerker Menial

Quite right. I placed the picture as an example of how (kindof) lore-wise a space marine helmet HUD would have. obviously it would have to be fit into a MMO style working. Not to mention that the devs have a UI in the works, and I wait eagerly for updates and news.
    NicolasBrunoni likes this.
  4. Had another thought.

What if each Faction had a Shape theme for each HUD?
    Like if the Imperial-style was blocky.
    The Eldar was at least rounded if not Oval.
    Chaos was pointed as if the shapes were trying to morph into a baroque shape or a Chaos Star.
    Orks would look as though it had been cobbled together.

Take for example the Radar section of the HUD.
    You could have it circular or as a semicircle.

But I'm suggesting that it would be a different shape for each faction, Rectangular for SM, Oval for Eldar, a warped rectangle for CSM, and a polygon for Orks.

Any thoughts?
    NicolasBrunoni and tom2000 like this.
  5. Rikamar Rikamar Well-Known Member

So long as it's kept functional all that sounds good to me since they know the Ork players in the stream thought theirs looked too clean and organised. Shapes can play a big part in difference of aesthetics. Borders can also help, which was shown, and I remember a lot of cool World of Warcraft HUD add-ons. Minimap mods in particular such as one that had magical runes around it shown below.
    [​IMG]