Background Image

Game Design Update - June 9th, 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrentEllison, Jun 9, 2016.

1. tanksin tanksin Recruit

warp is nanobots combating other nanobots and are empowered by chemical reactions and releases of other chemicals bam science!! chaos explained! =P but you are right logic is non existent in this universe
  2. Fenrir4life Fenrir4life Subordinate

It's actually very slightly curved, which is conducive to rolling across it.
    MungFuSensei likes this.
  3. Wiawyr Wiawyr Deacon

Oh? Doesn't seem to be from any lore. In fact, it was primarily used by Terminators, not a unit known for its mobility and evasive skill, and is stated to be extremely bulky and heavy.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Storm_Shield
    http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Storm_shield

Even if it was slightly curved, it would have to be curved in all directions to match the way astartes roll in EC. Which it isn't. Additionally, if you attempt to roll forward while holding a 5-foot piece of stiff metal in your hand, you are not going to roll; the shield will not bend to allow that type of movement.

Why do you keep arguing this when all the evidence and even basic math are against you?
    Galen likes this.
  4. Fenrir4life Fenrir4life Subordinate

I'm describing the shield that's actually in game, not the one in the lore. In the lore, astartes very rarely perform the Kirk Roll. Relative to their bearers, the majority of storm shields appear to be kite-shield sized or smaller.

If you lead with the non-shield arm, it is perfectly compatible with a forward roll, and that 5-foot measure is likely inaccurate. The shield is slightly longer than its bearer's torso and head, and while they _might_ be eight feet tall, they are unlikely to be nine.
  5. Wiawyr Wiawyr Deacon

And yet the storm shield is protecting the user from head to foot, despite the fact that they aren't projecting force fields. Perhaps combat shields are smaller and maneuverable, but storm shields are not such in any source material.

So here's where you might want to rethink your statements. If you're saying the shield is not even 5 feet tall, but that it should still be fully protecting the 8-foot-tall GA behind it, and we've all agreed that it doesn't project a force field but rather uses one to reinforce the metal of the shield itself, where are those extra 3-4 feet of protection coming from? Your assertions demand that either all the lore on the matter is wrong, or the developers have grossly misinterpreted the item and what it does. You are NOT rolling with an 8-foot shield.
  6. Fenrir4life Fenrir4life Subordinate

Um... YOU agreed, with yourself, that the shield does not project a force field. Its implementation in the more granular material, such as FFG's Deathwatch, suggests the opposite. Specifically, it projects the exact same kind of force field as a rosarius. While FFG's stuff isn't some mystical higher teir of canon, the wording in the codex entries is, possibly deliberately, ambiguous.
  7. Wiawyr Wiawyr Deacon

Okay, you're playing at selective memory loss here. We've had dozens of pages of posts in multiple threads agreeing that it does not project a force field. If you're really going to sink to this level of pretending reality didn't happen, then I won't waste my time further on you. Enjoy your delusional version of the game.
  8. Fenrir4life Fenrir4life Subordinate

News to me. I remember having a pretty dense work week last time we discussed the matter, so I probably missed a few dozen posts. I'm sure you won't mind linking these quora, though.
  9. Wiawyr Wiawyr Deacon

The threads are more than a month old at the least, especially considering this thread was for the changes from a patch also over a month ago. I'm not going to dig through 300 threads to find it.
  10. Fenrir4life Fenrir4life Subordinate

Suit yourself. In the meantime, I've got no reason to agree with assertions that contradict the majority of prior depictions.