Background Image

Game Design Update - July 14, 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrentEllison, Jul 14, 2016.

1. THE NATHANIMAL EventHorizon Arkhona Vanguard

Actually I believe he is slightly exaggerating being killed by a bolter or stalker bolter(not sure which), which can currently kill an Eldar in 3 shots as I experienced many, many times last night.

Also the powerfist 1-hit-kills with a fast attack, and unfortunately D-bash isn't working consistently to counter it.
    IdranelLives likes this.
  2. THE NATHANIMAL EventHorizon Arkhona Vanguard

For me, this last patch gave huge optimization increase of 34%. I went from 35 FPS during combat to 47. Great jerb.
  3. The Devs have always touted the PF as a high risk, high reward kind of weapon, hence it being so slow. I know very few people who actually play well with it and I'm not one of them. Even the players that seem to be very good with it get chopped up by faster weapons if they're not careful. Seems to me that it's finally coming into its own here and getting the high reward in melee that it should have in the hands of a skilled player who has learned to incorporate such a slow weapon into their tactics. A skilled swordsman or axeman against a skilled powerfist is a toss up. Either of those against an unskilled powerfist is outright murder unless the PF catches them from behind.
  4. THE NATHANIMAL EventHorizon Arkhona Vanguard

yeah I think slow ROF is the answer.
  5. IdranelLives IdranelLives Well-Known Member

I'm leery of that given how lethal a direct charged shot is.
  6. One things that bother me, the hotfix should normally block the banshee and hawk from being use on live server. But it doesn't work. We can still fight vs banshee and hawk
  7. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

@BrentEllison

A friendly reminder that whilst you are fixing the camera for the cover system and all the ranged weapons (kudos on that, looked awesome on Twitch), please dont forget to do the same for the Sorcerer/Warlock psychic "hand". This "weapon" suffers from the same problem all the other weapons do when relating to cover, the railings being the most frequent offenders, denying you the ability to cast spells to aid you allies below you or engage and enemy that is below you as well. So yeah, please dont forget to give the same treatment to psychic powers.

On another note, seeing the upcoming protect AoE spell made me wonder about the upcoming Nurgle heal that you have said will be a PBAoE. The problem with making it a PBAoE is that you are forcing the Sorcerer to huddle up with allies, which is in most cases suicide with so many sources of AoE damage in this game. So im hoping, similarly to the upcoming PBAoE protect spell the Warlock will be casting, that the Nurgle heal will also give something similar. Like a durability buff mixed with healing, cause it has to have some benefit over the other heal which you can safely do from range.

On another two notes about gameplay in general, there are two very annoying things that i see are still around after my little hiatus from the game:

1) Benny hill moments: The melee isnt working in tune with how mobile a character can be, or in other words the melee strikes are nowhere near as flexible, fast nor mobile as a guy running. This leads to like 5 melee characters running around trying to kill 1 guy with melee and he just easily dodging them all cause the melee animations are just too far reaching and slow that he just slides between them all. Either melee needs to be tuned more towards flexibility, speed and mobility, so a guy cannot just run circles around you, laughing as you swing and miss, or there should be a snare of sorts put into place as an activated ability to compensate for these situations that look and feel so wrong.

And while i saw all this transpiring this was playing in my head:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

2) METAL BAWKSES:
    In this case not the Rhinos, but actual metal boxes scattered about, along with any other climbable cover. Melee is still being hard countered by a ranged guy climbing on a box and just taking the advantage of the climbing animation to kill the melee guy. If you try to climb you will get shredded with bullets, if you try and shoot, you can be sure you will not win that shootout since as a melee character you arent sporting the big guns like the guy on the box, leaving you with either running or staying and dying. Its a bit less of an issue now, with durability broken (so you can nuke a guy on the box with your bolt pistol), but once the durability gets addressed, this tactic will get back to its OPness in a moment.
    CabalTrainee likes this.

8. If the Reaper and Plasma Cannon can one shot from the comfort of range, why shouldnt the Power Fist deliver catastrophic amounts of damage in a single hit? There's also the fact hat you have to work a lot harder to get in melee range, to stay in melee range, to not die when getting in melee range, then you have to actually hit something with the fist.
  9. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

Yeah, we'll be addressing that one. Pretty annoying!
    BrotherShrimp and FaintlyLucky like this.
  10. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

Yeah, next pass of balance will increase survivability & increase damage on ranged weapons. The net change should be that ranged weapons take slightly longer to kill you, and melee weapons take on average at least another hit.