Background Image

Game Design Update - July 14, 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrentEllison, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

NOTE: This is NOT the patch notes! This is an update on Game Design intentions that got posted too early. Houman's patch notes are coming soon!

The new patch has been a long time coming, but its primary purpose is to deliver the Tyranids and improved performance to the live builds. There has been a huge amount of optimization going on and it should result in a better experience for everyone. We are far from finished on this front however, and your reports on the performance will help us take it even farther.

That said, it also contains another wide pass on balance, the third since the last live patch. These stats are making significant fluctuations, and will continue to do so. Please give us your feedback on this pass, in particular relating to the balance between factions and the balance between melee v ranged. One of the biggest changes is the addition of significant survivability wargear options for everyone in order for us to test the maximum boundaries. For now you are still able to equip pretty much everything, but that will change in future updates as we tune the weapon costs and add weapon mods. A future update will be increasing survivability significantly, while also increasing ranged damage.

Accuracy and falloff for ranged weapons have been adjusted across the board to bring things more in line with our intentions (many of them had not been looked at in a while).

Note that there is currently an issue with the HUD (Health & Armour) not updating properly based on your wargear. Everything is working correctly behind the scenes, but we will fix this visual bug soon.

Details on where we are and where we're going:

LAIRS
    • Termagants and the ranged Warriors are bugged and frequently pose little threat.
    • More feedback on the objectives is coming, especially for the activate ones.
    • Variations of Hormagaunts and Warriors are coming.
    • Normal and Hard mode are currently the same.
    • There's only one route that's the same every time, we will be adding more (obviously).
    • The sector locks currently just teleport people into them when closed, we will be changing them so you can close the door behind a person and then open it again if they manage to get there in time.
    • The deathcam is missing - you will be able to watch other characters while dead in Lairs.

SPACE MARINES
    • The Storm Shield no longer provides protection when not raised, and has improved feedback on the areas it protects.
    • Will soon be getting improved sniper options with the weapon mods.
    • Several new Narthecium Vials are dropping soon!

CHAOS
    • The Mark of Nurgle now has a tradeoff to go along with its toughness increase - reduced stamina/fuel regeneration. All Marks will have both bonuses and penalties.
    • Several new Psychic Powers are dropping soon!

ELDAR
    • The non-store Fusion pistol is coming in ASAP.
    • Weapons and survivability on Eldar have had a proper pass (they only had very preliminary stats before). Like everything else, expect it to change quite a bit from patch to patch though, as there's still plenty more work to do on Eldar.
    • The Swooping Hawk & Howling Banshee are coming soon! (Yes, they're in the patch now but that's a BUG since they're clearly not ready and will be removed shortly).
    • Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapult and Tempest Launcher are still on the way.
    • Many of the Eldar store items are in, but not all of them have the correct appearance.
    • The Warlock has had his Renewer power nerfed a bit (taking out the debuff part), but this is to accommodate a bunch of new powers that are coming shortly. Destructor will be its own offensive power with some sweet lightning bolt fx.
    • The Reaper Launcher now has Starshot missiles (still some work to do on them).
    • The Falcon's Scatter & Pulse Lasers will get rebalanced very soon.
    • The Striking Scorpion's weapons sometimes show up while he's stealthed. This will be fixed.

ORKS
    • Those of you that have been on the Founder's servers know that these guys are not ready for live yet... but they should be just a few weeks away!

LOADOUTS
    • Wargear is still getting rebalanced and distributed to all factions. Note that the stats you're seeing on individual wargear is meant to test the extreme levels of survivability right now, in actuality we plan to distribute those stats a bit more.
    • Except for the Mark of Nurgle, none of the Wargear shows up on the character yet. This will change - currently we just want to test the gameplay.
    • Weapon Mods - soon the Space Marines will be able to create a powerful Stalker Bolter that has much higher damage for a significantly lower rate of fire. Lots more Weapon Mods will come along with that.
    • Loadout points will be rebalanced as we add the mods, the intention is that you can spec into Lethality, Survivability, or Tactical power but not all three at once.
    • Psychic Powers for Warlocks and Aspiring Sorcerers are now split into two slots, one for healing powers and one for other powers.

GENERAL
    • A ton of detail fixes have been made to melee, including improvements to the d-bash reliability, an attempt to make it so you don't fly past your opponent, and more. Please try it out and let us know what issues remain! (That said, improved feedback on stamina and durability are still on the way.)
    • There are too many situations where you can't shoot from behind cover. There's a big cover camera update soon that should make this a much more pleasant experience.
    • Soon the Heavy Bolter will be able to brace and zoom separately (allowing you to get more peripheral vision while braced if you wish).
    • Melta and Fusion weapons now have a warmup and turn more slowly. We will be making them take longer before overheating ASAP.
    • Warp Charge will soon be retuned and include regeneration. All the psychic powers will have their charge consumption rebalanced, and it will be able to be affected by Wargear.
  2. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

1) How much reduced stamina? Cause if it takes one bar off a character it means characters like the Sorcerer and Tactical are literally shooting themselves in the leg by dropping to only 1 dodge roll. That means they have 1 invulnerability frame compared to other classes that can go from 3 to 4 invulnerability frames. The pittance of toughness it gives certainly doesent make up for an entire stamina bar getting chopped off imo.

2) How soon if a guesstimate can be thrown around? Next week for new psychic powers?
    duffmek and Njord-Halfhand like this.
  3. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

Well you can try it online right now but you don't actually lose stamina - it just regens slower. Nobody ever gets only 1 stamina.

New Eldar and Chaos Psychic powers will be in the next full patch, which should be soon but every time I say a date I'm wrong so I'm going to shut up about it. They will definitely be on UAT soon, and we'll be showing them on Twitch this week and next week.
  4. BaridBuchanan New Member

Thank you guys so much for your work. Overall we really love the game and are so grateful for your work and dedication.

don't take what I'm about to say as a complaint, merely a question. I like to go in after each update and check to see if features I'm waiting for have been added. I am a huge space wolf fan, so I went to create a new space marine and noticed that space wolf is no longer listed in the space marine chapters, blocked out or otherwise. Is this on purpose while you work on them or have space wolves been removed from the game entirely?
    EventHorizon likes this.
  5. DevilfishJack Steam Early Access

As a personal suggestion, please don't list what will be in the next patch while saying what is in the current patch. It is visually confusing and I had to actively curb my disappointment while reading this because of all the "will be in next patch" caveats to most of the entries.

I know you guys are pretty stressed but underselling a patch like this doesn't instill confidence. It is obvious to the informed that you are working your asses off but it might greatly improve your image to work on the formatting of your updates.

Thank you for the outstanding work.
  6. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

Oh, that's just temporary. Don't worry they're still on their way and Nathan is not allowed to shave until they're in.
    Wreckson and Njord-Halfhand like this.
  7. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

Hmmm... looks like I accidentally beat Houman to posting. This isn't supposed to be the patch notes, it's supposed to be an update on where Game Design is going. I meant to post it after Houman had already done his.
  8. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

I see, i thought it chopped off stamina, good to know it effects regeneration instead, will test it later when im back home.

Can you go in a bit more detail about the upcoming Warp Charge rebalance? Also will the regeneration be default for both Chaos and Eldar? Cause last i recall you talking about regen you mentioned it coming from wargear (not that im complaining, love me some regen).
    Njord-Halfhand likes this.
  9. BaridBuchanan New Member

Thank goodness I had a minor heart attack. Thanks so much for all your work really this game is a dream come true for me. Pass my thanks on to the entire team.

Thank you
    BrentEllison likes this.
  10. Noromiz Noromiz Nickname Change

You tease, the Destructor isn't ingame yet :(