Background Image

Friendly Fire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meshric, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Bladerunner Bladerunner777 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid FF mechanics in a game like EC may be generally a bad idea, especially for FtP ork boys. I assume most of these people will be casual players who won't pay too much attention to the idea of the game, lore, mechanics, rules - they'll come for fun and a lot of dakka. Lots of dakka in turn means a lot of FF from their part, so probably FtP players will be punished for it most often which can quickly frustrate them coz nobody wants to be punished all the time for trying to have a good time without getting too deep into the game. That's how FF and penalties connected to it may scare off lots of casual players (who will be needed coz meat sh... ork boys should be everywhere in big numbers).
  2. Murderella Satan Subordinate

Planetside2 is entirely F2P and it has Friendly Fire and it's not a big deal. Every now and then you might run into someone actively trying to grief but they're usually rare.

If the F2P players don't want to be punished all the time then they'll have to stop shooting their own guys. In PS2 you didn't get punished until your Friendly Fire was excessive. So if you accidentally hit a guy once or twice it wasn't a big deal but if you kept hitting him and killed him and then killed another guy and ANOTHER then you got weaponslocked and couldn't do anything for a set amount of time. This timer keeps going up if you started griefing right after the weaponslock was over
  3. Bladerunner Bladerunner777 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but in EC there will be much more oportunities for FF coz we'll also have a lot of melee and it's very easy to hit your guys trying to engage the enemy in melee - take this into consideration.
  4. Murderella Satan Subordinate

I agree with that but I also heard that the TTK (time to kill) will be higher so it should be harder to accidentally kill your friends unless you're intent on doing so. I'm sure you'll get punished for it every now and then in a really bad situation but if the devs balance it right it should hopefully work out okay
  5. I seem to recall the Devs mentioning that FF wasn't a 1:1 with enemy damage. So, while shooting an enemy would do 100% damage, shooting an Ally might only do 40-50%, maybe even lower. It's probably lodged away in one of the AMAs or interviews, somewhere.
  6. Bladerunner Bladerunner777 Well-Known Member

That's why it's called FRIENDLY fire ;).
  7. KillSlim KillSlim Prefectus

Have the devs talked about friendly fire with melee weapons yet? I can imagine all sorts of problems due to the sheer amount of Orks charging at once for example, and how eager people will be in close combat to get that kill. Will the same friendly fire "discounted damage" apply to melee weapons too?
  8. Murderella Satan Subordinate

good point
  9. Tradias Member

Or you can jump behind the enemy so they become effective living shields.
    Admari likes this.

10. This is 100% guess work here; melee in reality/fantasy and that in a game are two very different things. I'd be rather surprised if the Devs made melee swings count for FF, simply because it would get in the way of big, sweeping melee engagements. They may have plans in the works...who knows?