Background Image

"Flight" Characters (Swooping Hawks, Jump Assaults, Raptors, Stormboyz)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Heironymus, May 7, 2017.

?

Most powerful "flight" class in this current "Meta"?

1. Stormboyz

2. Jump Assualts

3. Raptors

4. Swooping Hawks

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Heironymus Heironymus Subordinate

Main Topic: "Flight characters add another level of combat to the game, and keeping them unique, useful, and dependable is a basic, appropriate model for any class structure. How do these "flight" classes fair in the current 'Meta'?"

Possible "Sub-Topics"
    • How do the current weapons available impact the performance of the "flight" classes?
    • Does the current LP (load out points) balance allow for the appropriate balancing of builds you can use?
    • Do current animation frames available impact these "flight" classes ?

Disclaimer: To get the community together, and to promote playing each faction to gain different perspective, I decided to make these threads that focus on every faction and how they can all be improved.

[​IMG]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have played every factions and every time I play each faction I always find myself favoring the flight classes. They are pretty exciting, sometimes suicidal, and can really throw enemies of the other team off guard. Whether I favor a Burna Choppa, Hunter's Mark or a Necrotic Chainsword, I always try to engage with hit and run tactics, to keep the enemy on their toes.

In many matches that I play, without my fellow guild members, I always find our team with very few of these classes, especially on vital maps such as attacking fortress maps or any ticket maps, in general, where a good push or run can possibly turn the tide of a fight, against the defenders.

I feel that these classes are a vital part of the WH40K universe, and of this game, but sometimes are used for specific maps, and specific moments of these select maps. Sometimes these classes, since the huge nerf to LP costs for "flight classes", they don't seem to have many load out possibilities and are only used in a suicidal play style.

Also, click here for more detail on the old "meta" that favored flight classes.​
    Eldritch likes this.
  2. Asyran Eldritch Arkhona Vanguard

I would say Swooping Hawks. But not because they are too good, but rather because melee is not in a good spot.
    Drakonite and omarx like this.
  3. Brosephelon Recruit

Hawk hands down, its not even a contest. They arn't as good at straight up fights, and they arn't really for suicide rushing things, but they are absolutely amazing for just flanking and assassinating things. Their flight model is leaps and bounds better than the jet packs, and they get a real gun to use that is actually decently effective at most ranges so you can really exploit the fact you can be ontop of buildings and otherwise at unique long range positions.

If it was restricted to just jet pack types, it'd be stormboy without question. You can build a stormboy to actually be decently tanky with a burny choppa, decent pistol, and armor/gob and just tell the jetpack stuff to fuck off. You can still jump into a window, get the basic flank, and then once you do you are in there with a class that is still relatively close to the power of a ground assault.
    Where as trying to do the same with JPA/Raptor just doesn't work out, they have to build around the idea that they are squishier but have the jet pack mobility. They "need" that +1 fuel, maybe regen, their main source of durability is the armor and their defense bonuses from Wargear1 completely suck compared to the gobs the orks have, I also prefer ork pistols to bolt pistols.

I'd say JPA vs Raptor is actually pretty close. Raptor has the necrotic chain sword giving it the better melee weapon, while JPA has better fuel/regen setups available allowing it to be more mobile. I don't think the mobility advantage is big enough to really matter, and to be honest a modded chain sword/power sword vs necrotic chain sword isn't that big of a deal either.
    I'd favor Raptor but that probably just has more to do with me having significantly more play time with it, and being able to "know"/work around the NCS poison setup and playing without it leads me to leaving barely alive people alive instead of dead where just a single shot would have done it but its a shot I can save with the NCS.
  4. Avlaen Avlaen Arkhona Vanguard

Swooping hawks because they can camp in totally unreachable places and just kill without retaliation.
    Chuffster, TheAngryDoge and Maensith like this.
  5. Noromiz Noromiz Nickname Change

I voted Swooping Hawks due to Melee being rather... not good... right now, but the Hawks are far easier to kill imo than JPA in most cases for me, so they aren't all that powerful (Tacticals are worse).
    The ability for a Hawk to be completely stationary and near instantly drop 5 Hawksear Grenades (500 damage) in a single spot is a wee bit annoying though, especially considering that you can't even unbrace before you die...
    omarx likes this.
  6. Yvelfir Yvelfir Arkhona Vanguard

We all know this poll is going to be heavily tilted onto Hawks being the best. People are already whining that they should lose their guns and be forced into melee only.

Git gud.
  7. Avlaen Avlaen Arkhona Vanguard

Such an original argument /sarcasm
    Chuffster and Thraxus like this.
  8. Yvelfir Yvelfir Arkhona Vanguard

Originality isn't necessary when dealing with the same old Eldar hate bandwagoners. Besides, it's a pretty accurate retort for most complaints.
    Sily likes this.
  9. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

What on earth do flying snipers have to do with melee ?
    Laanshor likes this.
  10. Redthirst Redthirst Eternal Battles Moderator

He means that Swooping Hawk is the best class in the current meta, but only because current meta favors ranged over melee, and Swooping Hawk is the only jump/flight class that is focused on ranged combat.
    Eldritch likes this.