Background Image

First Ork Model Released

Discussion in 'Orks' started by Wolffe, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Looks good, but you ought to stick some big-ol tusks embedded right in his mandible.

2. Just for reference, did you miss the part about the fact that teeth/tusks were deliberately omitted? They'll be customizable, as it turns out.
  3. Yes, sir, I did. Running very low on sleep atm. Stressfull night.

That's good and proper as it should be. I can't wait to see the transformation from boy to nob to boss in physiology.
    Gottar_Krakdskull likes this.
  4. Tabletop portrayals are pretty inane for details, though. You end up with guns that shoot at the speed their wielders run, and other nonsensical conceits. A lot of things are the way they are for balance reasons.

While I'd not be at all surprised to see citations to this, it's pretty far outside the norm if it's in current lore, because guardsmen are normally too old for the procedures used by most (all?) chapters.

This is the norm. They're taken as kids of a certain age - the Space Wolves have a method with a particularly low amount of work involved on the part of the marines (just chuck them in an automated machine) compared to some chapters which do the augmentation manually, but selecting promising youths is done by almost all loyalist chapters.

They're technically abhuman; considered human only in that they're not xenos or chaos mutants but they'd still be a different species by current genetic science.
    That's more like 80s stuff.
    It's not a novel thing. It's in codexes as well as the Index Astartes. It was established with full oversight by Games Workshop and is entirely canon. So's them being able to eat brains and get the memories, which I think is a lot stupider than some in-built bioweapons, but that's GW for you.

A commissar cadet can be promoted to full Commissar after any length of time, it's discretionary on the part of the full Commissar under which the cadet gets field experience. They don't necessarily have more practical experience than any other veteran. They do have their Schola Progenium training, of course, but that's not really the same thing.
    Kudzu likes this.
  5. Kaazid GarySharp Well-Known Member

If that's actually the case with the newer codices then I agree that's complete idiocy, they may as well be Chaos.

I can't pull the quotes and references up off the top of my head but there was a whole fluff write up a few years back about marine chapters recruiting guardsmen from deathworlds to bolster their ranks, they never made full astartes due to their age but made the difference up with their experience and developed abilities learned on the deathworlds.
  6. Gruk'Lok Blakk Klaw Blakklaw Arkhona Vanguard

Needs mor' dakka!
    Looking very promising. Can't wait to see animations on that model!
  7. Akragth Akragth Well-Known Member

It's all from the codex, I wouldn't bother with BL stuff for this because it varies too much. It's not new either.

They do. And marines have a near unbreakable will, and a body whose biology literally makes them more survivable. This is reflected in the TT by having IG units (and Ork boys, interestingly) with inferior strength a toughness compared to scouts, which are the closest to naked marines as their armour doesn't augment them. It's an unfair comparison, Ogryn aside nothing the IG has can really compete in a 1v1 situation.

''Aspirants must always be chosen a youths, before they become too mature to accept the gene-seed organs that turn them in to Space Marines,'' Codex SM, newest edition. Being tough, alone, isn't enough to become a marine. (see also: Kor Phaeron, as he never became a full marine because of his age).
  8. Kaazid GarySharp Well-Known Member

"New" is realative, I started playing with the 2nd edition and stopped upgrading rules around the 4th edition, any edition from 4th onwards for me is "new".

Last time I played TT marines could be shaken and from shaken broken, boyz were always weaker than marines but a Nob or Skarboy/'ard boy could go toe to toe with a marine and a terminator if the Nob was in Mega Armour. Strength differences (especially in a game like this) tend to become irrelevant once you move into big choppaz and powerclaws and burnaz.

IG never really were a CC army, that was the job of Ogryn units or your command units unless you could get the marines outnumbered 5 to one.

Yeah I'm aware of that, like I posted above though there is established lore for chapters recruiting from deathworld IG forces, also like I said above lots of the lore over the years contradicts itself and GW lets people pick and choose which lore they wish to use.
    Akragth likes this.
  9. Bossaroo bossaroo Well-Known Member

Guys can we get back on topic and stop discussing space marines there is another sub forum for space marine discussion well technically 2 sub forums but yea back to our regularly scheduled programming of orks

WAAAAAAGH!!!
  10. Half_Ork HairyOrk Recruit

So all Orks are going to use just one body type?
    Cause different clans look different. I hope that each clan gets their own body variations.