Background Image

F2p problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Data8671, Aug 26, 2018.

1. F2P is not a fun experience.
    The majority of f2p players will not know how to play the game well, and will only have access to the most basic gear. They have only the most basic Armour, so are pretty squishy already, won't have weapon mods, and won't have any good loadouts. That may be ok for us players who know the game well enough to manage just fine on basic gear, but not for a new player.
    Add to that the frustratingly slow rate at which you gain req and ap, while the game shows the 2/3 of it that it has locked behind a paywall, and you've got a game which won't retain f2p players.

I think f2p needs a rework, possibly only taking a small amount of your progress and locking it behind a paywall. Possibly go all out f2p and rely on cosmetics and making new elite classes to make money. The game is struggling to keep players, so it only seems logical to make the game more appealing to a f2p player.
  2. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

The thing is: EC does not have much to offer. The entire idea of a FtP/Premium model is to provide ample incentive to purchase. EC, specifically, was designed around the idea of FtP being more of a 'demo' for the actual game, not the full experience.

Progression in R1-3 is very fast so even a F2P-player can reasonably get Tier 2 armor. After that, it is intentional that people should buy the game or leave. That sucks for us because it means less players but from a developer point-of-view, there isn't really a difference between a free player and no player.

I think it could be worth exploring putting a stronger lock on classes. You don't need anything but a Tact to explore the game and find out if you like it and progression would become less frustrating. You would still 'have' to buy the game for the real experience. Also, as a funny side-effect, you'd have people starting to call everything but Tacticals OP.
  3. But if f2p players stay, then the game would not be so dead, and maybe the devs could get more resources to work with, and maybe the game's population would pick up again...
  4. Pay2play 50$ like AAA(i did damn), and then see f2p without content production ta make f2p model works left with 1 guy coding mapping sitting in offece? Genius. I dont have enough hate after white knight;s veil fell of my eyes.
  5. Lerdoc Katitof Well-Known Member

I can name you a few veterans who paid and still can't play.

A couple of them unfortunately is banned from the forums already.

Bottom line is, you have to be exceptionally bad to not grasp basics of EC and to blame gear over the skill.

Best survivability builds will give you what? 1-2 more shots to the head advantage?

Sorry, game is more skill then gear and if you suck, there is nothing to carry you.
    That has nothing to do with F2p.
    Atsidas and Aislinn like this.
  6. Aislinn Aislinn First Blood!

Somehow, I usually see rank 6 people do stupid shit, which is odd and only reinforces this point.
    KharnVarus and Ivrain like this.
  7. Krayt Krayt Preacher

steam is flooded by f2p games so they dont get any new player because they are far down the list of new games
  8. Kharn KharnVarus Eternal Battles Moderator

And because this game was never marketed... and because people don't exactly play mixed review games easily... and because the game doesn't have a functional tutorial to offer, or any tips or tricks for that matter, for new players, therefore being unable to keep them.
  9. NurgleBurger NurgleBurger Steam Early Access

Nailed it. Plus the shear amount of toxicity the game has bred over the years probably has not done it any favours either.
    Data8671 likes this.