Background Image

end times confirmed

Discussion in 'Table Top' started by Grigdusher, Aug 3, 2016.

1. That's not exactly what L.J. Goulding says.
    And he wrote Mortarion's Heart.
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/The_First_Expedition/index.php?showtopic=23&st=2310
  2. Oh, and suddenly you're willing to actually listen or account for what he says when it supports your argument. Surprised you didn't do that when he was contradicting your high and mighty "loremaster" view of things. Should we all just bow down and start accepting your opinion as lore as well now?

I would also add as much as I like the guy, it's rarely seen as professional or controlled to badmouth anyone you've worked with so pulling his punches does not surprise me. That and the fact that most of his comments relate less to Ward's polite personality and more towards him being "unfairly" demonized for wrecking a game for the better part of a decade, codex by codex, does not actually defend what he shat out onto paper. He's defending the guy less thanks to what he was capable of and more out of personal like going from this.

The simple fact is that even the briefest comparisons between the audio drama and the codex don't match up. Yes, they both involve Draigo beating Mortarion, yes they both involve a duel between the two, but that's it. The one in the codex was a part of a full blown masterbatory love letter to a character Ward might as well have written when he was twelve, just to show up awesome (no, sorry, AWESOME!!!!!!111!!) he was. The one in the audio drama was a last minute hail mary pass on the Grey Knights' part with him barely surviving the encounter and winning as much out of sheer fortune as skill, rather than easily crushing the traitor primarch.

Not to mention the whole thing behind the organ carving nonsense, which is actually given context in the audio drama, rather than being some petty act of mockery in the codex. And before you defend the guy, don't. Ward clearly had room to confirm it was part of a binding ritual, and it would have only taken a couple of words to confirm it was an act of weakening him, not performing keyhole graffiti.
  3. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

Jorimel likes this.
  4. Is that directed at me or Mr. Goulding?
    It's not clear based on what you said.

And L.J. Goulding has been a Loremaster in HH community for years, long before he started working for Black Library as an Editor. Which might explain why his team are principal editors on the HH series of novels. But then again, you might be complaining about my status on there.

Plus Mr. Goulding did say that Matt Ward was responsible for a few Howlers. And he should know as he's had to clean two of them up.

It's not the first time I've read Mr. Goulding defend Matt Ward.
    Probably because of all the Ward-hate, he's trying to say that he did some good as well.

Well it sounds like Ward is a bit of a dick then.
    But at least he did help fix it!
  5. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

nobody have read the first extract of the deathwath?
    it's something like "they are the elite elitist elite of the elite they are the best best of the best, they are century old veteran triple praised by captain, librarian, apothecary, chaplain, techmarine"

"when a marine is selected for the deathwatch all the marine come to say goodbye (and in case of dark angel they remind about not talking of secrets)"

"a new marine coming in the deathwatch is considered a noob and start to train again the old rank don't matter, because in the deathwatch even the janitors are veteran janitors"

but they are like 5 marines in a kill team! it doesn't matter!

emh no! the kill team now is the equivalent of a squad when they need they can deploy land raider terminators, dreadnought (veteran of course), drop pods etc etc etc...

because a watch fortess is basically the equilent of a first company or larger with better equipment, and they can replace the losses with no problems.

and the black shields now are the greatest snowflakes of all: there is no limit is explained that they can even come from a traitor chapter nobody will ask them because "the experience of a veteran marine is invaluable and irreplaceable"

blackshield brother "totallynotcypher": "hello watch captain i want to join this watch fortess!! i'm a veteran of course!"

dark angel watch captain:" f....." -"welcome brother veteran, in this times the imperium need any of his veteran servitors... nobody will ask about your past...."
    Jorimel, Brother_Nemiel and Galen like this.
  6. Sariel Searva Ordinate

The Dark Angels have actually sent experienced marines to infiltrate the Deathwatch to seek out Blackshields that are members of the Fallen.

Its also not like a random marine can just show up at a watch fortress and join up. Blackshields go through an intense vetting process before they are allowed to get stripped of their name and join the Watch Fortress ranks.
  7. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

[​IMG]
    "even those legendary few lost in time-those wo wold be instantly executed were their former allegiance known"
    Dark-Knight and Galen like this.
  8. Jorimel Jorimel Well-Known Member

I share your pain, and I too fear for my beloved lore. Just taking a moment to appreciate the quality of your vitriol, though :D I agree with what you say. If only I too could express it in more than a wordless scream but no, W*rdrage is all I have for now.

I understand that Matt Ward is a perfectly nice chap, but that doesn't mean I do not wish him a long and happy career far away from the things I love.
  9. Jorimel Jorimel Well-Known Member

There once was a young man named Ward
    Who earned wrath and ire 'cross the board
    He messed up the lore,
    Then came back to make more
    For minis no-one could afford.

... I'll see myself out.
    Galen likes this.
  10. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

We want more!
    Jorimel likes this.