Background Image

(ec) Devastator Space Marine In Melee

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by SergeantDracopickles, May 16, 2014.

1. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

i didnt used that example based on its effectiveness in battle but due to the fact that it would make your main weapon magically disappear
  2. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

Relic's Space Marine also didn't have a suppression system, which may render Devastators in Eternal Crusade far more powerful than they were in Space Marine and as such it may be for the sake of balance that they do not have a sidearm besides their heavy bolter.
  3. Fox Fox Active Member

Well, that's the whole point of the conversation. It's less about can you do it (obviously you could), but why bother doing it? Unless bE wants devastators to have multiple melee options, bashing people, kicking people, stabbing people, etc., why include the ineffective option other than for the sake of customization?

I guess bE could also just program knives to be dangerous, but that goes back to the concept that Astartes fists and boots are more dangerous.
  4. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

really !? multiple melee options!? thank you good sir you just made my day.
    Not all devastators use Hbolters and i dont think that having a bolt pistol will affect balance that much (when compared to the other options devastators will have ).
  5. Fox Fox Active Member

This gets into a separate issue dealing with how self-reliant devastators should be. In the lore, the other brothers not on heavy weapon duty would be the "bolt pistols" of the brother carrying a heavy weapon. I think it should be up to the other players to protect their devastators rather than granting more self sufficiency to the devastators.
    Felix - Proteus likes this.
  6. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

i still fail to see how a bolt pistol gives "more self sufficiency "to a class that allready has very little if at all...but as you said this is for another thread.
  7. Mhorge Mhorge Curator

But in melee, the combat knife is going to be the most effective weapon because it is designed for it's purpose. A heavy weapon is by it's very definition, heavy, and thus cumbersome to swing around and use in melee considering they are all in motion, short of overwatch you aren't going to really get much use out of it beyond clubbing your opponent and attempting to finish it off. Your hands are tied holding onto this giant block of stuff, and not only that, if the enemy somehow manages to damage the weapon, then it's out of action for x amount of time before it can be serviced.

I don't know how long an ammo feed would be, but presumably long enough to be not a hindrance (model wise, iirc the heavy bolter has a decent length anyway, more than enough to drop it on the ground and still not sacrifice immediate maneovrability for his weapon).

Remember, combat knives are monomolecular edged. That's ridiculously sharp. I do believe that combat knives are standard issue. Whether they use them or not is more up to circumstance, but I doubt they'd leave home without one. Minimal weight and takes up minimal storage, why wouldn't you carry one with you?
    Galen likes this.
  8. Aritol Aritol Prefectus

If an enemy comes close to a Devastor, the Devastor doesnt have time to put away his weapon/backpack, and pull out his knive.
    He would be dead.

So swing your weapon, kick your enemy, but...DONT DROP YOUR GUN!
    Swing, and shoot them!
    Kick, and shoot them!
    Hell kick up some dirt to blind them and them shoot them!
  9. Lelorelyn DragonOfMars Active Member

A knife could be used, but generally it would indeed be less effective than bashing your opponent with your heavy weapon. A knife could offer you the chance to land an incredibly lucky hit against an opponent that is likely better armed for melee combat and much more agile. A kick is not much more effective either in terms of agility and damage. Actually bashing your opponent with your heavy weapon would probably yield the best results.
  10. Fox Fox Active Member

Because you're not thinking in shooter video game terms. Those heavy weapons are going to still beat people's asses up close and personal. You played Space Marine. All of the devastator weapons smacked people up at close range. Some were easier than others, and the plasma cannon carried the risk of blowing yourself up, but you were going to use your heavy weapon to defend yourself at close range 9 out of 10 times. The 10th is when you are out of ammo.

The issue is that they don't need a bolt pistol. I don't personally care if they allow devastators to use pistols, but I am sure the players will find that it is about as useful as it was on Space Marine - not useful except to Assault Marines.