Background Image

(ec) Devastator Space Marine In Melee

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by SergeantDracopickles, May 16, 2014.

1. Fenrir4life Fenrir4life Subordinate

Or the bayonet could be on the same slot as, say suspensors, or a signum link, so they can have a better melee option, but it means not optimizing for accuracy/stability
  2. Viktor Aramorae TheWarpsmith Well-Known Member

But we all know that nobody would use it. When someone was picking Devastator/Havoc they would think "I got a big gun that fires big bullets/lasers/plasma that can rip through almost anything...i need to make it as good as it can get", i just doubt they would care about melee. More likely is that they would figure that the melee-specialized troops should deal with that for them
  3. Fenrir4life Fenrir4life Subordinate

I'm not arguing that most would choose against it, but is that really a reason not to give a choice?
    Admittedly, it would suit some weapons better than others. heavy flamers/multimeltas, where you have to get pretty close anyway, never hurts to have some stabby in case you miss/they survive.
  4. Viktor Aramorae TheWarpsmith Well-Known Member

fair point
  5. Njal Bjornson Active Member

It really all depends on the situation, if you know you are going to be in CQC but still want the reassurance of a H.Bolter you might want to have melee load out. Something that comes to mind is the underground Tyranid mines where you might want to deck out your kit with lights/flares/bayonets to fight a lot of weak zerging enemy in Close Quarters.
  6. SST_2_0 SST_2_0 Preacher

I can see how a HB could be a decent melee, but how fragile is a Plasma Cannon? How well could someone with a Lascannon like how a model holds it be able to use it anyway other than like a shield, (Plasma Cannons too for that much)?

Heavy Bolter: Handles like a Tactical with a bolter in CC except with a slower heavier block and slower but strong attack damage, for using the HB. Upgrades are very physical, so bayonet means more piercing of an attack, while adding weight simply adds damage and reinforced casing, for blocking upgrade.

Multi-Melta: Like the HB in CC. Upgrades for the MMelta would be nice if they were tied into the melta qualities. For example, "after firing melta x times next melee is done with superheated barrels, lasts x time and is refreshed on firing" .

Heavy Flamers: The CC is handled like a Heavy Bolter, but it should be a no fuel left last resort. The HFlamer has other qualities like ignoring cover saves and it's really aoe heavy and should have no melee upgrades (it is a Space Marine HF not Ork flame afterall), though fuel seems like a great way to upgrade for melee encounters, like blinding fuel "next enemy melee attack is a miss, unit affected once every 4 seconds".

Missile Launcher: The blocking could be interesting, because I saw someone write about Behavior having a way to jump back from an attack. Which seems like a great game changer for the launcher, which looks lighter than any other heavy weapon (I couldn't find weights). No other heavy weapon should offer this ability if it is in, but a missile launcher, instead of a heavier block, seems okay. Also there are a ton of different missile types, even
    • Blind Missile - Blind Missiles explode with a burst of dense dark grey smoke, including IR (Infrared) bafflers and broadband EM (Electro Magnetic) spectrum chaff, all designed to block eyesight and even advanced visual detection. This effect is short-lived though, but while it lasts it provides excellent cover for advancing forces. -Missile Launcher wiki page.
    Plasma Cannon: Block is the same as HB but chance on hit to explode plasma. Chance of explosion is very low but basically wouldn't want to use this thing where melee is consistent (talent/upgrade chance to lower chance). I waver between a weak attack and a normal one because LC and PC seem have so much power in the gun. If it is necessary again the weapon could easily have a barrell upgrade, "while charged the plasma bleeds damage in a tight short cone, but uses more fuel to hold the charge"

Lascannon: Handle just like PC in CC but without the explosion. I never heard a definitive answer if anyone knows how the LC was going to fire between an aim and hip shot? I'd love to know the book lore on shooting a lascannon from the hip repeatedly and the accuracy. Personally though, I'd like to see it require a scope view in order to fire but then let the scope zoom not just far out but also back in, to a tight view. Something that offers close engagement effectiveness with a loss of situational awareness. If there is any melee upgrades they should be strictly defensive. Upgrades like where an enemy is when zoomed or simply damage reduction while zoomed.
    Destrakshun Boss likes this.
  7. FallingRocks MoeHawke Active Member

I like these ideas. Missile Launchers are small enough and light enough for Catachan to manmode-carry them. (Maybe their not the same launcher? Not sure. Many also have Bi-pods they use for aiming.) So I could kinda see them being easily manipulated by mega-behemoths, better known as Space Marines.
    SST_2_0 likes this.
  8. Wyzilla Wyzilla Well-Known Member

Astartes combat knives are mono-molecular and stupidly durable, meaning they can slice power armour with enough force behind them. Of course GW doesn't realize they'd stop being monomolecular the minute they were used, but science has never been GW' strong-suit.
  9. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

Avatos likes this.
  10. again im glad this thread is still going on learning alot from everyone posting so far thanks again for everyones opinions i know ive said this before and hopefully thats not a nuiscence! to all a good day/night!