Background Image

Drum or AP mag?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GrazewoundZeroLow, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Good evening.

From previous postings/videos (2017) to now, players seem to prefer the drum mag over the AP one.

Why is this? Is it not worth having extra AP after a certain point? Does carrying more ammo in the gun, allow you to bring a healing item instead?

Thank you in advance.
  2. Xio Valency Xi0 Preacher

Pretty sure drum mag was favored due to it allowing larger multi kills before a reload and being the best upgrade for that slot,

The problem with ap ammo is the upgrade when I last used it didn't actually reduce the bullets needed to kill a full health player and only worked on very specific hp amounts possibly? when you consider this the drum mag was the only impactful option in it's loadout slot except for Eldar who never got extended mags I think and only had ap ammo.

Not sure if this ever got changed but even if it did, a larger mag is still way more convenient to me since you never know if you will get to reload before the next enemy attacks you and doing so out of cover is going to get you killed.
    GrazewoundZeroLow likes this.
  3. DavyBoy CuCulainn Curator

AP for me cause
  4. Lucius Vinicius JojoKasei Arkhona Vanguard

I use the Fast Reload Magazine, actually. But that's merely personal preference.
    If you reload whenever you have a second of time you rarely run into fights you can not solve with the amount of bullets you have available. Happens, but not very often. Because either you have teammates with you, you are dead before your magazine is empty or you avoid fights in which you feel you'd be severely outmatched. I had maybe 1 or 2 of those situations where I thought "had I only taken the drum mag" over the last 10 hours played.
    On the other hand FRM gives you the opportunity to reload even during the shortest of downtimes, where with an empty DM you might still be fiddling around when bullets fly at you again.
  5. Kjall Kjall Active Member

Drum mag became much worse after it got nerfed alongside the bolter, the viable mag choices now are either fast reload due to it basically keeping you in the fight constantly with how fast you reload the gun, and AP rounds to boost the killing power of the bolter. AP rounds are a worthy investment if you're scoring headshots consistently since on most builds they'll reduce the amount of headshots needed by 1, as well as helping extend the range of the bolter abit more.