Background Image

Doing Word Bearers Justice

Discussion in 'Chaos Space Marines' started by TheWarpsmith, May 15, 2017.

1. Viktor Aramorae TheWarpsmith Well-Known Member

I thought I could put up with it but the lore-abiding nerd in me cannot handle it any more. Unlike the loyalists, Chaos received no subfaction-specific modifications such as the Wolf Priest or Veteran skins. I feel that Word Bearers get shafted the hardest despite my attempts back in the founder days to educate the forum on the proper way to implement them.
    • Word Bearers do not have Sorcerers. They don't trust them (I can't remember why however). The closest they have modernly is their Dark Apostles/First Acolytes who use rituals and "warp magic" to perform Sorcerer-esque feats. During the HH they had Diabolists who were essentially Daemonologist Sorcerers but it is believed that these units eventually became the modern Dark Apostles by mixing in with the Chaplains. Rename AS class of Word Bearers to Diabolist (and the Vet version into Dark Apostle), give them an Accursed Crozius as their default weapon (just make a Force Maul statline), and give them the epic Diabolist helmet like how the Wolf Priests have their skull helm.
    • Word Bearers do not wear marks. It goes against the Book of Lorgar (the tome that defines how the Word Bearers act) to commit one's self to a single deity within the pantheon of Chaos. Those who fall into this are either cast out of the Word Bearers (like the Sanctified warband) or "retrained" which I imagine is a terrifying process. I'm not saying remove marks because that would create nasty imbalance, rather just don't allow the marks to show up on Word Bearer characters visually. Sorry to those who were proxying WBs as World Eater Khorne Berzerkers but sacrificing the theme of 1 group to accommodate another isn't exactly appropriate.
    • Word Bearer (and all other Chaos) Veterans look the same and that is super unfair (see LSM vets for appropriate method). Word Bearers in particular are rather easy to design for. Add hanging parchment with Colchisian Script on it along with a holstered grimoire and viola Veteran Word Bearer
    There we go, my frustrations are vented. Were I feeling better today I would've done a whole big thread on how to apply this level of subfaction treatment to the other Chaos subgroups but I will leave that to another intrepid heretic to do in my place if they desire...

Edit: Here is an image of the Diabolist [​IMG]
    Necroledo, Eldritch, Reede and 2 others like this.
  2. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

they won't cater to us , we don't have a commander valarak version doing life streams and promoting the game
    we don't have over 50% of the player base
    we are not their target audience. we are just here to provide the salt levels needed for LSM to cry about more buffs.
    which became frustratingly clear on release of the possessed vs the release of the legion of the damned marine.
    we get a half assed unfinished rush job.. and LSM got a flaming marine with everything custom skinned armed with a better than normal bolter.
    Kampfgeist, Overseer and Reede like this.
  3. Teef Trooper909 Recruit

None of the Choas Legions are done right.Alpha Legion isn't even the correct colour.Not all loyalist are done properly either though,Sanguinary priest springs to mind.

To not mess up balance they could just add a toggle as to whether you want marks to be shown or not.It will obviously turn off mark taunts as well.

Warhammer lore geeks are not an easy bunch to please
  4. Slayer88 Recruit

Well any developing company that wants to make a Warhammer game ought to be educated on the lore. This game is better than most, but there are some thing lacking, I agree.

I am one of those people who plays Word Bearers as a proxy Khorne Berserker and I would be furious if they removed the Mark of Khorne's appearance without letting me swap Legions. I'm only Rank 3 and I'd be furious, can't imagine how pissed I'd be after reaching Rank 6 and unlocking all the things I want.

I've never played Space Marines, it sounds like their Chapters have a purpose. As far as I can tell, the Chaos Legions are nothing more than color schemes and unique equipment. It's really stupid. They'd be better off just letting us color our own armor and choosing our skins without restrictions since the Legions are purely meaningless. I'm not saying the different legions should have different upgrades or powers or stats, but that they should at least be designed to be more than arbitrary colors.

I mean, how hard is it to add all of the other Chapters and Legions seeing as it's nothing but colors and a single suit of armor. Release World Eaters as a color scheme, swap some existing armor to be exclusive for them and make it so World Eaters cannot take any marks except for MoK. Then add the other 3 color schemes. There are already nurgle shoulder pads. Add some stuff in the future, but how hard is it to give us more color options since the Legions are meaningless anyway.
  5. Deathwish Deathwish Subordinate

While we're on the topic, all 5 of the legions they went with are Chaos Undivided. Taking marks on any of the legions is a bit out of whack. This is gonna bother hyper nerds to no end. You know and I know that they should have put in Death guard, Emperor's Children, World Eaters and Thousand Sons and one CU legion instead. Khorne is my homie so I make due with Word Bearer and skin him with Bleeding Daemon and Bone Armor pieces.
    Khornatian likes this.
  6. Slayer88 Recruit

Chaos Undivided armies usually sport lots of different Marks of Chaos. I think that the design is perfect, honestly. The only issue is there is no Mark of Chaos Undivided, meaning everyone will take a Mark. I guess you could save on LP without marks, idk if anyone does this.

Black Legion is the stereotypical Undivided legion. They have Zerkers, Plaguemarines, Rubric Marines, and Noise Marines in their ranks. So, the idea of a bunch of mixed Marked CSM running around in undivided colors actually makes a lot of sense.

If they have World Eaters as a legion you would be required to take Mark of Khorne or no mark at all. Same with the others. I like your idea, though, Black Legion and each of the God specific legions would've worked really well, too.
    Deathwish likes this.
  7. Viktor Aramorae TheWarpsmith Well-Known Member

issue with that is that Tzeentch's legion is the Thousand Sons which only field rubric marines which would constitute different state then what is currently offered in this game
  8. Rivindesh Rivindesh Subordinate

Word Bearers don't exactly hate sorcerers, just those that try to seek domination over chaos, forcing daemons rather than asking. We got a more supplicant attitude. Most of our "sorcerers" are considered holy men and are dark apostles or acolytes. I wouldn't mind if they changed aspiring sorcerer to an acolyte, pretty much chaos version of the wolf priest.

While taking marks is a confirmed no in the lore, undivided is severely lacking in use. Most of the marks are to good, and their is no unique undivided only weapons.

It would be nice to get some veteran flavor like the dark angels. Gimme my tomes and I will be happy, happier if they are actually usable.

[​IMG]
  9. Slayer88 Recruit

That's absolutely true. The Thousand Son's "playable" classes would be the sorcerers as Rubric Marines are actually just magical constructs.
  10. Viktor Aramorae TheWarpsmith Well-Known Member

I'm not saying Rubricae couldn't be playable, just that they would not work like anything we currently have in the game and that might be a balancing issue. They would be slow but have high toughness and could not cap points. Their bolters would have fire rounds and they would likely interact specially with their supports. Seems like effort that the devs would not want to touch and I can't blame them