Background Image

Do You Think There Is Any Chance Of Harlequins Being An Option?

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by dabbler, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Warmaster Nate Warmaster_Nate Well-Known Member

Yea...I didn't want to go there...
    Chaplain Valerius likes this.
  2. you know...i would love to hear about how fucking powerful (not OP, just as powerful as they should be) they are...XD

edit: seriously...
    TELL ME THE STORIES OF THE SOLITAIRES!
    Warmaster Nate likes this.
  3. Warmaster Nate Warmaster_Nate Well-Known Member

I would too actually, but I can't find it as even in these texts, the Solitaires are left to abject mystery. The blurb for the big, named, mack-daddy of the Harlequins in this book even stops to say, "Amongst her own people it is rumoured she has even spoken with the mysterious and deadly Solitaires, enlisting their aid for some, as yet, unknown purpose."

I never was able to find Solitaires' statlines anywhere for any game after 2nd Edition TT, and I don't know of a model ever existing for them. There was an appearance of a Solitaire in the 'Path of the Outcast' novel, and he 1v1ed a special greater daemon of Sai'lanthresh and won. (Special meaning that that particular brand of daemon has never appeared anywhere else, it's called a 'Decadent Lord')

The second edition TT rules were more or less as follows:
    Between 6-12 attacks on the charge as it's a roll of the die. Charge range is a max of 24" if your lucky.
    Either strength 3 power weapon or "wound on 2+". Rolling a 6 to wound with either weapon (Kiss or Riveblades) had the potential to instant death the target. (this was when power swords ignored armor utterly)
    Enemy takes leadership on 3D6, plus Solitaires have the Fear quality
    Can only hit the Solitaire in melee on a 6
    No leadership value. It was never required to roll leadership as it was 'immune to psychology'.

Quite a monster.
  4. see, solitaires IMO probably are on par with phoenix lords and primarchs...XD
  5. Warmaster Nate Warmaster_Nate Well-Known Member

Phoenix Lord, yes. Primarch...I think no....but close perhaps.

Check this out. Those are the rules for the Forge World Primarch models copied from the texts and posted on BoLS. The rules are quite harrowing and I know a Solitaire would have a hard time topping them.
  6. indeed--though i have always thought phoenix lords were about the equal of primarchs-at least, in that phoenix lords chosen skill/specialty. primarchs choking out avatars of khaine never happened.
  7. Warmaster Nate Warmaster_Nate Well-Known Member

Indeed. Based purely on lore, they should be comparable as they are the respective martial masters of our races. GW always wants their Imperium to be the big boss protagonist though, so it's sometimes difficult to pick through the lore.

Choking a being made entirely of molten metal is very unlikely.
  8. Not when you're as FABULOUSas Fulgrim.
  9. pretter sure a power weapon in the hands of a space marine strike > unarmed strike of a primarch

how does one become a harlequin..?
    i know solitaires are blanks but thats it.
  10. I know, I was merely poking fun at how ridiculous Fulgrim strangling an Avatar is.

The only thing that is known about becoming a Harlequin is that an initiate to a Troupe must complete some trial. The trial too is a mystery - other than it binds their souls to Cegorach, the Laughing God.