Background Image

do you like the new DoW game

Discussion in 'Other GW Licensees' started by Balthazar_bloodhawk, Dec 19, 2016.

?

do you like the game

1. yes

2. no

3. it's complicated

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. simple research on peoples opinion on dawn of war 3
    what do you approve of the game and what you disapprove
    feel free to post you comments below but try to make it short and simple

(highly appreciate your comments)
  2. Bossaroo bossaroo Well-Known Member

I personally like it as im not super pissy about the whole "its not grimdark" and "its too colorful and cartoony" it doesnt really bother me that much and i kind of like the color of it, grimdark doesnt always mean dark ( colorwise )guys. The story from the tidbits we hace received seems on par for dawn of war, the fact theres campaign for each faction and a huge possiblity for other factions to be added in im excited for it. And lore wise im still pretty chill about the whole back-flipping terminator thing. Its a special ability on a special character in warhammer 40k where characters break their own lore every other day.

TL: DR im excited , not too plussed about any of the details though the excessive light shows are a tad too much . Also i loved the ork theme it was great !
    Enki, Necroledo, Bloodlich and 2 others like this.
  3. You see it's because of individuals like this that we will probably never get a good 40k game again.

When someone spit at your face and you basically praise him for it.
    (i've seen people on the DOWIII forum said that everything was wrong with what they have heard or seen of the game so far, the way they describe it meant not even one thing was remotely good or appealing, which is entirely correct tbh yet they punctuated the sentence with a good old " But it's a new Dawn of War so i'm cool with it " )

You have people who either don't know shit about 40k aside from Orks are green and Spehss mehreens are cool or just sorry fanboys who would eat turd as long as it's labeled 40k.

You can like the game itself for what it will be, you may like the idea of a Starcraft/X rip off if this is your type of stuff but no way in hell someone can say wholeheartedly it could be a good Dawn of War/Setting for a 40k game. The insipid Art direction coming directly from your generic MOBA, the huge emphasis on your hero, no units dynamism, no cover, no sync-kill, cartoonish animations, out of lore mechanics, dubious models... the list goes on. This is a mockery of the DoW franchise and 40k as a whole.
    BlackGoo likes this.
  4. Sleepylion Sleepylion Well-Known Member

As a fan of DoW franchise and Relic's RTS in general, I must sincerely say that I hate the direction they took with DoW3. Instead of innovating and improving upon what they've got, they decided to just throw all that out of the window and copy Starcraft instead.
    Enki and BlackGoo like this.
  5. SmurfKun Tamu Well-Known Member

If that was all then i would be fine with it but the most glaring part to me is that they added parts of DOW 1 and DOW 2 together and said "hmm thats too complicated and intristic for our players surely they dont want that" and dumbed it down to MOBA star-craft stuff which works for star-craft but not for DOW
    Examples including units standing still like its the 17th cenctury warfare when shooting, in both previous DOW units would kneel, they would take cover, they would move side by side hell they would even check their gun mag's when idle but noo thats would just confuse the kids so just have them be a big ole blob of robots standing still.
    RustyRake likes this.
  6. Thresh Phelan_Stonewolf Well-Known Member

I could go without Terminator flipping, and wish it was a mix of 1 and 2. 2s visual themes and a scaled back focus on hero units with ones more balanced squad approach.

It's hard cause I don't hate how colorful it looks even if it's a slightly off fit. I think if it was a bit more gore and a tad more flash it'd be better.

Overall I am willing to see more of it and judge it on how it plays and how the story works out. I'd hope it doesn't keep this trend, though. Feels more like style over substance atm.
    DerelictHeretic and AddyRedrum like this.
  7. Bossaroo bossaroo Well-Known Member

Im honestly waiting to get my hands on the game before judging it, and im kind of surprised about how people are so upset about pre-alpha footage and graphical effects especially considering the game this forum is on but i relent. Ive seen many games that looked like crap and played well. A simplified cover system is a far trade when the game has more basis in DoW when it comes to combat. Trying to manuever such a massive army behind cover for each unit is not only a massive amount of effort on map design and not really what the game is going for. I also have seen people refer to its MOBA-esque style and im not sure i see how that is the case . All in All while i agree the minor graphical effects need to be toned down ( each unit doesnt need a that much sparks) i dont agree with the constant hate its getting as its not even in Beta yet and they were forced to simply things like te cover system to accomadate larger army sizes or else there'd be ludicrious amounts of micro-management
    AddyRedrum likes this.
  8. Orkus Pokus Trenchwar Arkhona Vanguard

I like the return of base building.
    I like the overall graphic quality and tone (the models and the environment).
    I like bigger armies.
    I like the fact there are more units than dow2, seems there are more options for countering strategies.

I dislike the over the top animation. somersaults and other bullshit.

I dislike their vision of "clarity", when seeing full armies clash, I see no clarity with all the particle effects going on, way to flashy for my taste.

I dislike the fact there are only 3 armies meaning chaos is the clear 4th with an expansion and with the general trend of getting no more than two xpac we are likely not going to get imperial guards in a wh40k game anytime soon.

I dislike the way they inspire themselves of MOBA. I mean, I get the idea behind their idea, but I think they did it wrong. what is happening in the game IS NOT clearer to me, and I don't like having champions with abilities overshadowing line troops. That whole heroes all get 3-4 abilities ala Q,W,E,R like in league, some being CC, damage dealing, and other things, don't like that at all.

So overall I'm mitigated. Usually I'd buy any wh40k in an instant, but I've been a bit pissed by the way dow2 and 3 were handled. I like EC for what it is but am still somewhat disapointed from what I had hoped, I pre-ordered heroes 7 just before it went out and know that game won't even be updated after a single xpac... I mean seriously too me it's like the whole gaming industry is crumbling up with shit games that have bad servers, don't get patches, keep getting game crashes and bugs and do not deliver. Also lost game data that was actually stored on the steam servers with retribution, thus loosing my level, so I was dropped from pretty much any multiplayer game because poeople thought I was a newb because my level kept resetting itself...

Basically I'm just tired of buying games. So I'm not buying this one, for now. The only reason I'd buy dow3 would be for Imperial Guards. So MAYBE in 3 years.
    DrDooManiC and DerelictHeretic like this.
  9. Sleepylion Sleepylion Well-Known Member

The sad part is that I don't even hate its aesthetics. It looks fine to me, it has that DoW 2 style which I like, the animation is superb. But hell do I hate the new mechanics. Relic must have forgotten who they were and what made their games stand out from the rest of the genre.
    RustyRake likes this.
  10. Sleepylion Sleepylion Well-Known Member

That's just an excuse, an illogical one on top of that. As far as I can see, the army size is barely bigger than CoH 2. Hell, Men of War 2, which lets you control each individual soldier, has the max pop of 200 per player. You can even reach 600 with mod.