Background Image

Dispelling Myths about Orks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saeritan, Apr 19, 2017 at 7:14 PM.

1. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

So there have been a lot of myths and misinformation floating around lately about the Orks, so @Thana and I jumped into the garrison to try and clear some of them up. This is what we found.

Myth 1: Orks take more damage from behind

This was simple to test, we simply shot an Ork in the front and then in the back. We can, with absolute certainty, conclude that Orks do not take extra damage from the back.

Myth 2: Orks take less headshot damage

[​IMG]

Again, this was a simple test, we shot an Ork in the body and then in the head. We can confirm that the Ork headshot multiplier is 1.5x, which is notably lower than the 2x multiplier of every other faction.

Myth 3: Orks suffer more suppression

This was a lot more difficult to test, and the results are not 100% conclusive, as we tested using each factions Heavy Bolter equivalent due to the difficulty of subjecting each faction to the same weapon (e.g. a Heavy Bolter).

From what we can tell, Orks do not seem to suffer any significant extra suppression when compared to other factions:

Myth 4: Ork lunge ranges are shorter

To the nearest meter these are the lunge ranges that we observed in the garrison (Go To markers state 1m when you are stood directly on them, so we took the distance stated by the marker and reduced it by 1m):

Ork (with Choppa Blade)

Fast Attack: 6m
    Power Attack: 9m
    Dbash: 4m

Space Marine (with Chainsword)

Fast Attack: 7m
    Dbash: 5m

Striking Scorpion

Howling Banshee

Power Attack: 10m

So there is some truth to Orks having shorter melee lunges. Space Marines have a slightly longer lunge on their fast attacks, and Howling Banshees have a slightly longer lunge on their power attacks, whilst Orks do indeed have a slightly shorter lunge on their dbash.
    Noromiz, Hralius, Aringhe and 30 others like this.
  2. Gobteef Firebat Curator

Here's da thing. Ya did all dis in da Garrison, which last I recall, used PvE values rather than PvP. -Supposedly- there is to be differences between the two modes. But, I never play PvE..but the Garrison does feel different from the live combat. Perhaps for confirmation you should use UAT to live-combat test against players?
    Kaptin_Pokkets likes this.
  3. Thana Thana Curator

Garison had never been PvE damage stats, only PvE has reduced friendly fire damage. This was introduced during hord mode. Besides. we are not talking about number damage. just comparing pixels. Would it even mater if we had reduced Friendly fire from PvE?
  4. Whitefox550 Whitefox550 Well-Known Member

Next up- testing the myth that garrison uses different values from pvp.

@Saeritan and @Thana you make me proud. Actually testing things, who would have thought?
    Paeyvn, Saeritan, Aislinn and 9 others like this.
  5. MacBeth MacBeth Well-Known Member

Oh, oh Let me go warm up some pop corn for this!
    Talron and Paeyvn like this.
  6. Doctor Orpheus Dreadspectre Arkhona Vanguard

I came here looking for something about big hands, big Orks, big Nobs etc....leaving slightly informed but mostly disappointed.
  7. RageScreama RageScreama Well-Known Member

The suppresion thing did exist. One of the patches reduced suppression penalties on orks. If we we had a before and after on kannon for example (the most extreme offender) you would see times where the screen shake on old value was so bad an ork would actually change directions while running while just holding W. At one point my screen shake caused me to do a 180 with old values.

As far as back damage did you test melee damage? Cause orks seem to get one shotted a lot by various weapons power attacks while the only other faction getting that is eldar since they have such low ehp.
    Drakonite likes this.
  8. DongSlayer DongSlayer Steam Early Access

Garrison used to be 100 % buggy for damage done to others... still remember shoulder and I testing ork poison mods in garrison vs live...in garrison was 3 shots for full stack and in live game was 2 shots...Doubt the garrison has been fixed ever since so take garrison numbers with a hint of salt .
  9. ANGRY MARINE ANGRY-MARINE Well-Known Member

I remember that they lowered the headshot multiplier for Orks due to it being incredibly easy to shoot one in the head. A 1.5 multiplier is still pretty painful, but it's an improvement.
    BrotherDamnatus likes this.
  10. Geisto Geisto Cardinal

Regarding the "suffering more" Supression:

This is a valid thing, and it is exclusive to the Ork Kannon

As for the Melee Lunge Ranges, here are more visible, accurate comparisons:

The Ork faction has always been handicapped in this regard, worse-so in the past. I could bring those videos up too, but they've been patched for the better, but not enough.
    Hralius, Karond, Brujah and 6 others like this.