Background Image

@DEVs: Features Which Are Effectively Off The Table

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by 0strum, Jul 7, 2017.

?

Is this thread...

1. halal?

2. haram?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan Richardsson Oveur Senior Producer

I'm not sure how you find them vague, or how you want me to explain them better, based on all the examples of what are systems in the post.

Game mechanics is perhaps a better description for you?

What you're describing is the internal authoring side for staff, where things are modular. We already have that. We're using UE4. It's their forte.

When we create a new "thing", like Objectives, it's a player facing system which requires engineers, a game designer and a UI designer and is counted in weeks. Not maps that require more people, with nothing seen till 3+ months. That's not a system.

There is an internal authoring side to all our systems. They are modular to various degrees and not the problem. I'm referring to what's player-facing. when I say we're rigged for creating systems.

Other words you can use is; new mechanic, new functionality, or new feature if you want to call it that. In the industry we broadly separate the two into systems and asssets. A map is a huge amount of assets, that are authored, then we apply systems on top of it. More systems (feature?) make the maps more interesting and replayable.

A new map using our same current feature set is worthless. It's more of the same and does nothing for the game. Secondary objectives would change all current maps. That's a system.
  2. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

Thanks for clearing this up.
    KidMeatball and Oveur like this.
  3. Nathan Richardsson Oveur Senior Producer

Glad it helped! I should probably just have called it features :D
    Nightkeeper likes this.
  4. I would say it depends on the system added. A good system is going to do far more to help than a single map, but that's conditional on it being able to entertain people. Anyway, given the economics of modern asset creation and your internal business specifics, guess you're making the right choice.
  5. Lleu Bleiz Active Member

I already find the activity of cracking necks with my warlock very entertaining :D
  6. KidMeatball KidMeatball Steam Early Access

I've posted a link on the Steam discussion page to get the word out. Great thread guys. Thanks for starting this @0strum , thanks for the detailed reply @Oveur
    Nightkeeper and Talron like this.
  7. Covi Doomness1000 Recruit

I had originally avoided this thread because I wasn't interested in it's title. But today read a post about Oveur posting here something good over here so I came to check it out. Oh my goodness, this is spectacular! These are the types of posts that help to revitalize the community and bring hope to the hopeful. Thank you @Oveur! These are the types of things we'd like to hear about in the twitch streams.
    Talron, Kalenath and KidMeatball like this.
  8. Tyranthius Tyranthius Well-Known Member

What community?
  9. Grotduffa Timburwolfe Active Member

I said in the original thread where he began work that it was probably up to the HR department and not entirely in your hands.

That said, I recall there being a code-savvy guy wanting to help with cleaning up messy code from the earlier days of development saying he wanted to help in the thread if BE was interested in bringing him on. I myself would like to help with animating, given I have some hobbyist experience in the matter. Things like using keyframes in programs like Blender. I have the capacity and the time to learn whatever program is easiest for your engineers to integrate animations from, I just need to know where to begin.
    Sily, Hralius and Doomness1000 like this.
  10. Thank you for your answer! However satisfying your curious community members is never finished. So your answer raises new questions
    - what system is planned to be worked on after you have made Personal Goals and Vehivcle customization? Hint : I'm expecting you to answer 'World Map' ;)
    - more generally, could you make a locked thread in the forum that would sum up the systems being worked on, the systems planned to be worked on and the systems being considered? About this matter I invite you to read a post I made some time ago and pick what you find useful in it : http://forum.eternalcrusade.com/thr...the-management-of-players-expectations.54976/
    Doomness1000, No_1 and KidMeatball like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.