Background Image

@DEVs: Features Which Are Effectively Off The Table

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by 0strum, Jul 7, 2017.

?

Is this thread...

1. halal?

2. haram?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grotduffa Timburwolfe Active Member

Aside from the approval process with GW, can you go into more detail about how said assets are integrated? THere are people here, myself included, with various skills that would like to contribute.
  2. Nathan Richardsson Oveur Senior Producer

Not quite sure I understand your question. What are you thinking when you say modular, and widening which part of the pipeline?

Example. A game designer can't do art integration. a Technical Artist does that. No system can change that. But the game designer then has an integrated asset, which is a module, and he then assembles. This is how we create visual customization, and variations already and balance, and we can now do that with vehicles, as it's the same system as we use for characters.

Maps are also modular. We use UE blueprints and everything. It speeds up things but map creation has always taken months. Map creation doesn't suddenly _not_ require artists or level designers.

Hence my confusion on your question :)
  3. @Oveur I guess our question - our BIGGEST question - is given the low server population numbers, the hostility from the most vocal members of the player base, and the fact that 54% of the owners of this game don't even have the "complete one match" achievement, how can we be certain bE is going to give you the time to see this through?
    Vaanes likes this.
  4. @Oveur
    And exactly this is what i needed to start believing in Eternal Crusade again.
    A vision what will come, a plan on how to get there and tales on how it allready did work.

You won me back. For now :p

Mind to post something like that on Steam? There are more people like me who lost faith and could use a little peptalk.

Exactly what you wrote there is what i see as transparent development.
    Kudos to you Nathan!
    May your plan bring us glory!

PS: Who do we need to stalk and give a beating so you get more people to work on this faster? :p
    You know what i mean, nothing severe, just so they know what's up
    JojoKasei, Kiwik, Redthirst and 5 others like this.
  5. Nathan Richardsson Oveur Senior Producer

Sorry, I don't have all day to elaborate on all that, it varies on so many factor, starting with the type of asset.

And as we're not moddable, you can't create a ready-made asset, without being a paid employee or intern. Free "internships" are illegal I'm afraid.
  6. Mainfold Mainfold Preacher

I was thinking GW approved in the sense of those maps technically not necessarily being "lore accurate" for Arkhona. But then again, it's not like Arkhona has a vast amount of lore for it outside of it being a super-urban fortress world previously housing billions of inhabitants that got eradicated by an unknown factor (bunch of nids probably) suddenly. But the PVE-type of maps where they're structured with premade "rooms"/tiles, could easily be applied to PVP as well, because people WOULD play those maps, and then just pushing out tons of smaller maps far more regularly would at least quell the constant feel of lack of content for a while.

Keep that in mind when you go to the topic of "maps", that players would indeed play maps like the PVE-maps as PVP maps if just allowed to. As it would be great maps for skirmishes/guild v guild matches/TDM etc. Sure, it may not be your direct vision of what kind of maps you want to represent the game (as it's on a fortress-world), but on the topic of fortress'.. don't forget fortress/stronghold fights are a giant thing in lore.. hell, just look at the structure of something like the Schadenhold from the lore (if you're not familiar with it, it's the last bastion of the last loyalist iron warriors from The Iron Within, comparable to the "The Maginot Line" from WW2, vast network of underground bunker&tunnel fortress etc).

I'm absolutely certain that (if given the option to) players would gladly queue for 5v5 matches in maps previously used for PVE (or similar style maps), because at least.. that's something more than nothing..
    Hralius, KaelaMenshaKhaine and Oveur like this.
  7. Kalenath Kalenath Subordinate

That silly thing called 'LAW' gets you every time.

I know I would.

Just the THOUGHT of tossing heretics and xenos off those narrow bridges into lava is making me salivate,
    JojoKasei, Hralius and Oveur like this.
  8. Grotduffa Timburwolfe Active Member

I am aware of this much, I recall the Ranger showcase thread. Technically we can make assets, it's the legality of using them that corresponds to Canadian law.
    Oveur likes this.
  9. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

I'm trying to understand what you mean by these "systems" and I'm having a hard time because that part of your initial post was pretty vague. I initially interpreted your mention of these "systems" to be an effort to make the game's architecture easier to fill with additional content on more levels than just the infantry characters...

The infantry characters in all 20 subfactions can have their parts replaced (wargear, armor, weapons, cosmetics...). You've obviously got a system which allows you to add more assets to existing lists without messing up previous content. I'd call that modularity.

Your work on bringing a similar system to vehicles in particular changes that part of the game's code so that instead of having 12 vehicles that all just come in 5 different colors but nothing more, you get all of those vehicles to have customisable slots which you can then fill with an ever expanding variety of weapons whenever any such assets are ready, correct? This is also something that I would describe as bringing more modularity to the game.

My assumption was that you were working on these "systems" to create new frameworks within the game, which can then be populated with additional assets as time goes by. Is this correct or do your "systems" stand for something else entirely?
    Oveur likes this.
  10. Nathan Richardsson Oveur Senior Producer

Ah no, Techpriest wants to become an intern and even for free, so he could help integrate things. We aren't allowed to do that. So he's in the formal HR internship process. I have no control over that, except pestering them.

The assets he's created, just as if he would submit them through the Workshop, with the legal mumbo jumbo, is an entirely different discussion.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.