Background Image

Death And The Maiden World Fan Art Competition

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by KatieFleming, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Kilgar Kilgar Cipher

That would be really great thank you :)
    You are the best Katie ^^
  2. Katie Fleming KatieFleming Community Manager

3. Kilgar Kilgar Cipher

Great :3 Dropped my drawing in it ^^ I really hope that most of who participated will share their work :D
    I'm really curious about how the entries were looking ^^
    KatieFleming likes this.
  4. Construct_ Thraxus First Blood!

Wow kindof let the things get on top of me there. Three replies in one, not sure how to do that but here goes.

To The Black Primarch, tcezar and our belovid community manager Katie. Thanks to all your constructive feedback and kind words of encouragement.

I really REALLY loved the comment you made about my work being similar to "The Curse of Monkey Island Style", I didn't think anyone would notice, hadnt thought about that for a while actually but I guess there is a subtle hint of influence from one of my all time favourite game IP's ever.

I'm mostly influenced from the comic book series "Johnny the Homocidal Maniac" and Mr Vasquez's Invader Zim cartoon series with a bit of Ill Will Press thrown in for good measure. Like to think I've carved out a unique niche for myself.

Looking to make my own web comic in the near future though I'm now extremely busy thanks to this huge burst of creative influence this competition has set in motion as I've been asked to create a new look for a local ghost hunting community's website my wife has dragged me in to. Probably a new logo with cartoons of each of the investigation team or something . Its not much but its a start, I'm just glad to have found my spark again.

To the Black Primarch:

Dont I know it, Only started drawing again for this competition having stopped for years after a succession of traumatic failures. Seem to have found my rhythm again though will take some time before everything's firing on all cylinders again.

I'm self taught, if whatever this is, is something you can learn. Though I am frustrated with my old archaic medium (Macromedia Freehand 10) looking for a more intuitive program to help but have been putting it off.

For this picture though each part was done individually, painstakingly stretched into being using vectors overlaid onto sketches. Allows for a lot of manipulation. So many thousands of points to manipulate. God I dont want to think how many hours lol.

To Tcezar:

Thanks, this defeat has brought me more motivation than a victory ever could have. Will be continuing on regardless, infact I don't think I could stop if I wanted to lol. I find I work best when the walls are closing in and things are at there most bleak. Infact I havent been able to stop drawing which I dont think my wife is too impressed with.

A bit torn however, I probably wont be able to actually play when war is released as I'll want to keep my motivation. mmo's tend to suck the creativity out of me and I don't want to go backwards again.

I dont think I have an ego, I actually just won another competition for a peice of art I threw together in just 3 days the day after this epic failure and I immediately felt bad like I'd just swooped in and stolen everyones cookies didn't know what to say. (had re-appropriated the central character for the one I'd submitted for War, gave her a new hair doo, removed her jaw and stuck her in a graveyard surrounded by pictures of some of the websites haunting investigator team) Real last minute stuff, was up till 3 am on the last day had to get up at 6 to go to work the same morning lol.

Did it for these guys here:
    http://hauntedauckland.com/site/haunted-auckland-xmas-competition/

[​IMG]

Just need to push the boundaries now, the more I avoid doing easy stuff and work on areas I find difficult the better. Hands, body, and drawing the head from below has always vexed me. Never quite looks right. Not quite sure how to do that but I'm sure I'll figure it out lol.

Sorry I've been in a bit of a strange head space lately. Lots of Christmas drama. Unusually so. Thanks for all your kind words of support, really appreciate it. Especially again being compared to the crew who designed Monkey Island 3 lol. Awesome.

Saying that, I think this is appropriate. Did this for a work Christmas card 5 years ago:

[​IMG]
  5. Kilgar Kilgar Cipher

Thraxus, just never stop mate =)
    Its not easy, I know, sometimes I struggle with it myself to keep on going on some crappy days ^^
    But its definitely worth it :D
    TheBlackPrimarch likes this.
  6. Primarch TheBlackPrimarch Fan Art - 1st Place

@Thraxus Love your stuff. Do you have DeviantArt? :)