Background Image

Dear Devs, how can WE help YOU?

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by Katzu_HSM, Jun 21, 2017.

1. WKA - Rekstuff Katzu_HSM Arkhona Vanguard

(This may be an exercise in futility, but if we don't ask we can't know, ya know?)

Hey team. Hope you're having a decent week in the new offices.

I know y'all have been talking about working and prioritization and there's been A LOT of hostility from the community and what we (justified or not) feel we're owed. But I believe and have experienced that when a community and its development team are working together nearly any struggle CAN be overcome.

So how can WE help YOU GUYS? I mean feedback, sure; that's expected. Money... Well that's a bit of a tricky subject these days in the community, but I'm sure some of us are feeding the beast regardless. More time to show the wheels are - in fact - turning? I can't think of any more examples, because to be honest I just don't know what else there could be.

So to repeat my question. If you guys felt confident we'd back you up, what would y'all ask us for?

Mods feel free to ruthlessly cut toxicity off this post.
    Njord-Halfhand and Talron like this.
  2. Caentyr Caentyr Subordinate

The first thing that comes to my mind is a Steam workshop or some other way to put in mods.

They'd be strictly cosmetic and can be used to help fund the game by selling the new "skins" or other things that come out. Warframe does something similar.
    https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=230410

The one thing that could be the big obstacle in the way is old man GW, (Even though they've done SW's in some other games of theirs) but the devs would have the ability to reject creations if they are not up to par with the lore or GW's impossible standards. They can take the popular creation, show GW a pic, get a response for yay or nay, and then plan accordingly.

There THAT's my idea to "help". Now What's the expectant date for this idea to be mocked, ignored, or given a dumb-ass excuse for?

*Edit* Oh look somebody had this idea already
    http://forum.eternalcrusade.com/threads/community-generated-content-and-eternal-crusade.68474/
    Apparently it was already shot down.

Welp, I tried....
    Njord-Halfhand likes this.
  3. Rathael Rathael Arkhona Vanguard

I don't think they need to release a lot of cosmetics. They just need to release the right cosmetics... stuff people can identify with.

For marines, I don't think it's not difficult. Basic stuff from upgrade kits & successor skins for LSM and god-themed stuff for Chaos. I ate up those Khornate helmets so fast. I don't think I've ever spent money on a video game so quickly and decisively. Pretty sure I'd do the same for more Khornate or Blood Angel themed cosmetics.

Orks are pretty much an open field, and there is already quite a lot of fun stuff for them. Eldar unfortunately have barely any leeway, but that is largely the fault of GW themselves for not providing the same effort with the Eldar miniatures. I love Eldar, but we kinda just have to suck up the fact that there is basically no canon variation in aspect warriors.
  4. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

As much as I'd like to see more cosmetics, having the community create them wouldn't help much. The subject has been touched on before and Nathan and Noah explained that having art assets is not the issue - there is a bottleneck when it comes to slapping cosmetic items into patches.

And as much as I'd like to see cosmetics, other new content or updated content would be much more desirable. The new tank stuff, improving PVE, introducing additional weapon models, improving the shoddy character selection screen which only shows hero loadouts, improving fortress maps (spawn tickets), the list can go on and on.

Yes, cosmetics would be nice, but they're not the kind of new content that the game needs right now, and due to the bottleneck mentioned earlier, I don't see how community created cosmetics could be anything but an additional burden on the development process.
  5. Posting this for clarity. I'm reading that as 3 passes by GW for approval.

So assets are an issue. However http://forum.eternalcrusade.com/threads/the-hunt-for-the-clothless-ranger.65975/page-16#post-1522834 shows there is hope for people in the community working with bE.

The real thing that would help IMO is a map editor. I wouldn't mind never having a new cosmetic item ever again if we could get a decent flow of new maps. Plus I don't think GW gets involved with the maps, but I could be wrong.

All the maps have pre-existing assets so it's more about where you put them than anything else. Nothing new to be made, just rearranging stuff that already exists. It's how they build their own maps so they may be a way we can do that too?

If we could build them, get them on UAT and play them and critique them, help bE balance them with feedback and get them on live that would be something. As all maps use shared assests that already exist in game it should be straight forward. However I don't think we've had any info on how bE build their maps or integrate them into game, most likely similar issues as Noah states above for cosmetics, so I'm probably just pissing in the wind.

@NoahWard - Any chance if you read this you could let us know how maps work in EC and what limitations we face getting player generated maps in game?
    0strum and Vaanes like this.
  6. NurgleBurger NurgleBurger Steam Early Access

At the moment, promoting the game.
    GBloodfang likes this.
  7. If i remind right Noah said that they have a bunch of items lying around but no time to code them all into the game.
    0strum likes this.
  8. Promote the game...but,

None of my friends play 40k or are interested in doing so. I managed once to invite one to try the game.

He said, and I quote.
    " It reminds me of Mass effect 2 clunky combat with useless cover and no story"

When the only good thing about EC is the Warhammer 40k universe, and WH 40 is not that popular...well you can see the problem.
    GBloodfang likes this.
  9. Katie Fleming KatieFleming Community Manager

Appreciate the posts guys! Right now we need more numbers, more people playing the game. Like we mentioned on Twitch we have 8 campaigns coming up and will be doing some more marketing then. We're a small team, we're working as fast as we can but things take time to develop, in some cases we're waiting on resources (people, not money), etc. Having your support is #1, and we understand your frustrations. If we could spit out new content everyday we would be.
  10. WKA - Rekstuff Katzu_HSM Arkhona Vanguard

Well I can tell you the people I know of who own but are not playing the game fall into exactly two camps:

1) People who want to play but are waiting to see what happens starting in the Eldar Campaign and going forward.
    2) People who want to play but are waiting for additional content/maps/stuff-and-thangs. And Black Templars. I have A LOT of people clamoring for Black Templars.