Background Image

Day\night Cycles And Weather.

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by Exzelenz, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Carmine Exzelenz Cipher

Some questions regarding timings of those.

1) How long do you guys plan to do day-night cycles approximately? (Wishlist: 3 hours of sunlight, same for night. So it can actually have an effect on a single long battle, while having players experience both day and night in a single session.)

2) Will the weather be random, or semi-random? Even if so, will we have timed weather effects, timing of which we will know and will be able to take in our consideration regarding tactics? Like "gather up for an assault on that position, there is a sandstorm coming at **:**pm!"
  2. Appledrink Appledrink First Blood!

I'm curious if there is a day and night cycle and how long day or night is. Also, I'd really like to see weather effects myself, like fog, rain, dust clouds, etc.
  3. Unglory Unglory Subordinate

Good question!
    1. A 6 hour day is an interesting idea, and your right that then it would have an effect on a single ongoing battle. Plus its short enough that everytime you log in it could be different. At the same time though, that would be either a very quickly spinning planet, or a rather small one lol. I think i would prefer it to be a bit longer, but shorter then a 24 hour day. I would say 12 hours total: 1 hr Dawn, 5 hrs Day, 1 hr Twilight, 5 hrs night.

2. This is tough as i dont think they have confirmed weather expect that they would like to have it. It definately makes sense that with all the ships in orbit you would have sensors that would be able to tell you the current weather and time per specific location. (which adds a cool note of different times of the "day" on different contenients/parts of the planet) So the ability to pridict a "large storm is going to hit the coast of contenient A in 3 days", adds a very cool tactical feel to the game. Plus this creates potential World Events that players of all Factions can plan around.
  4. from last AMA on mmorpg
    i think it would be cool to have a weather map overlay for the regular world map
  5. Unglory Unglory Subordinate

Map would be cool but they could also do "automated" announcements of upcoming weather and global events. I'm imagining a Servator's voice lol.
    Your AMA reference makes me think it will be an odd number of hours in the day then, that way if say i log in at 6pm everyday where i live its a different time in the day. On the same token though that would make it harder to plan in Game time vs. Real time?
  6. Carmine Exzelenz Cipher

Guys I know that there will be night and day cycles and that there will be weather, it was confirmed. ;)

The thing that interests me is how they are going to implement it timing-wise.
  7. I hope they make it so that no countries are stuck with night time during daylight hours when most people play. Perhaps the planets will have unique rotation/orbit times, affecting the cycle between day and night. Weather would be king too.
  8. I hope eldar have the ability to change weather patterns with psychic powers. e.g. The commanding team want a sandstorm to cover their troops when they attack a stronghold so they spend a fair amount of resources to generate a sandstorm at that location
  9. all factions have psykers so not only eldar should have that ability
  10. yeah but eldar have psychic storm as a psychic power and i thought, why not an actual storm