Background Image

Dawn of War 3 - Confirmed!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by RustyRake, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Kharn KharnVarus Eternal Battles Moderator

Actually most people complain about DoW3's lazy development. 5 maps at launch for an RTS game is poor, 1 gamemode, the game has less unit variation than fucking dow 2, the campaign is lazy at BEST; no real cutscenes and the story sounds like it was written by a 5 year old, and the game is overall not what they said in terms of size. I don't see how it's bigger than dow 1
    JojoKasei likes this.
  2. Xio Valency Xi0 Preacher

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Yk2IjxHLQ

Just gonna leave this here since it seems related, I'm still going to get the game but only when it eventually reaches £15 or lower, I still think DoW2 looks more fun though mostly because the very light RPG elements in the campaign(gear with stats or ability), Krieg skin pack and last stand make it fun for me.
    KharnVarus likes this.
  3. Kharn KharnVarus Eternal Battles Moderator

Both EC and Deathwing have a bigger playerbase atm too.
  4. Krakza Krakza Well-Known Member

One at a time

It's around how many the previous DoW games had at release, unit variation is fine especially considering the addition of elite units, did you see DoW1's campaign? - the artistic style of the cutscenes isn't a minus point, it's a preference, it's bigger than DoW1 - DoW1 simply sees more action due to slower unit deaths and reinforce on the field.
  5. Kharn KharnVarus Eternal Battles Moderator

Not really because half the units in DoW 3 are examples of - Regular guy with regular gun, regular guy with flamer, heavy guy with heavy gun, heavy guy with otehr heavy gun, heavy guy with also another heavy gun - oh 5 units even tho it's just 2!

The "artistic style of the cutscenes" is half of my complaints about cutscenes only becuase they fuck that up too as the 2d animations look lazy as shit. Battlefleet gothic does it great. Compare it. You'll see the difference. The other half is the fact the campaign is lazily done in terms of storywriting and time (11 mins of cutscenes and about double that of boring dialogue that also makes no sense) so it's really not justified.

It's definetly NOT bigger than dow 1. I've seen people re-ennact battles from dow 3 in dow 1 and it's pretty easy to do it on your own aswell and it proves it's very much smaller. Especially considering that you mentioned it yourself how units in dow 3 die very fast, which is why big battles don't really matter that much when they don't last long enough for you to even consider them to be big before they turn small.

So after all this, they cannot pay 60 dollars for a half done, content lacking, close to falsely advertised and buggy mess of a game with a short campaign on top of that.
  6. Krakza Krakza Well-Known Member

Tactical Marines, HBolter Devs and Las Devs? I hope you also complained that Plasma Devastators were a separate unit in DoW2 - otherwise please drop this terrible point. The only 'duplicated' units in the game, as it were, are Devastators, Scouts and Predators. Off the top of my head I can't think of any others.

I have no polarising opinion between DoW3 and BFG's cutscenes. So sorry to disappoint.

What did you expect from a Relic RTS campaign again? This is the series that spawned Boreale and Metal Boxes. The game is obviously multiplayer focused, so why don't we focus on that as well?

I'd argue this further but at this point we're arguing about whether you can build a bigger virtual meatblob in one game or another, I just can't care.

Excuse me?:

So if I also say "X has a lower IQ than Y", it follows that "X is completely fucking stupid" or that "Y is an absolute supergenius"?

No.

Dawn of War 3 units die faster than Dawn of War 1 units, but it's certainly not so fast that battles just magically turn small just as soon as they've begun. That's just ridiculous.
  7. Xio Valency Xi0 Preacher

One of the best points for DoW2 for me was the story mode, it felt like an RPG, you had heroes, loot, cutscenes and story every level along with interesting mechanics and boss fights, e.g. I really liked the Daisy boss fight.

In addition I could play as any race in the game in the third entry and I had a decent space marine one in the other 2 with the second bringing in a heresy mechanic that affected the final boss fight, it's one of the main reasons I bought the game, the other reasons being last stand, and that I bought every game + Krieg and Imperial Fists captains for £3

As for Boreale, he never harmed the game single player of DoW1 and spawned some great memes and youtube videos unlike DoW3.
  8. Krakza Krakza Well-Known Member

Me too. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a PvE focused DoW game - campaign customs and last stand and such, but if we're arguing about how good or bad DoW3 is I'd rather not focus on things that it obviously wasn't focusing on.

Just a bit tired of the same old things. DoW3 isn't perfect, I know that. It has actual issues but nobody brings them up in between the torrent of "MOBA!!!!!!!" and "omg 2 different predator tanks AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!" and etc.
  9. Xio Valency Xi0 Preacher

The point is this is what I expect from a relic games single player from prior entries, and this wasn't it,, if they focused on the PvP aspect on gameplay and single player insanely suffered as a result then why does it have less modes and maps and the weakest single player in the series all in combination?

I don't find the poor quality of the single player was worth it honestly with what the final product offered for the mode they invested more time into, the single player could have been something too since heroes play like dota characters which made possibilities for new items and abilities, plus all those elites could have been usable characters in you party, with scorpions and deathwatch and other squad elites being the equivalent of DoW2 honor guard.
  10. Kharn KharnVarus Eternal Battles Moderator

There was more variation in DoW 2. Look at units again.

As for cutscenes and story - dow 2 , again, big campaign and lots of effort.