Background Image

Could the Eternal Crusade be won?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Azathoth, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Kunitsa Kunitsa Well-Known Member

The fact that each Chapter is composed out of 1.000 Marines. Which means we have 5.000 Marines. Whereas the Eldar, Chaos Marines and Especially Orks have Numbers FAR outnumbering those of the Marines because guess what? Marines doesn't have the Role to fight planetary Campaigns on their Own since 10.000 Years. They became highly specialized Strike Forces to support the Main Fighting Force of the Imperium and make the essential Breakthrough at Crucial Points (and take all the Credit for the Campaign in the end of course!)

So... if EC keeps it's MMO premise.. it's a Fight between Chaos, Eldar and Orks after.. let's say a Week!
  2. Sigvald Darthy Curator

I think the unspoken explanation for that is that they brought a fair number of successor chapters with them.
  3. Sorantam SpiritofRock Subordinate

The War Councils set objectives for their faction during each campaign, so capturing territory alone might not even win you the campaign or give you the right to claim total victory in a canon ending. Holding 95% of the planet is great, but if your enemies own that 5% in which the super-secret-death-artifact-of-lightning-shooting-out-the-wazoo rests then you're in trouble.

If bE announced a 'true final ending' campaign I think it'd be fairer to put together an overview of each faction's success throughout the game's life and use that in conjunction with the last result to paint a better picture of who got what. Even if one faction dominated in terms of open military power, the others might have achieved goals like extracting or denying valuable resources or artifacts, using Arkhona as a distraction to tie up a disproportionate number of enemies while they fart around elsewhere, testing out new forms of weaponry or tactics, or generally just being a nuisance in the context of the larger 40k campaign.
  4. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

Once we get new planets added way after launch i can see them start locking planets for like a month or so.
    It would really represent a victory well for a faction after a long campaign (the winner own the planet) and would very well simulate the tug of war that will occur. Even in lore you had people fighting over the same planet multiple times in wars.
  5. GameBoss Whisper33 Well-Known Member

ETERNAL crusade. get the picture?
  6. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

new planets? i think it too optimistic. new continent maybe
  7. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

A man can dream.
    Tureilim likes this.
  8. What I thought I could travel the whole 40k. Universe from A-Z!?! REEEEEFUND!
  9. JudgeDeath JudgeDeath Well-Known Member

I give Eternal Lobby Crusade ... 3-4 years before its "dead" aka few guys running around the unmaintained single server.

Game has an inherited flaw/strenght of adding new factions. They splinter the factions while giving something new for the players. Once you run out of new factions it gets tough. Communities will have a hard time growing when they effectively split on every major patch.

On the otherhand you could minimize the downsides if you rocked fully on the strenghts of the lobbywar-genre instead of making a half baked hybrid of old dreams and raw realities.
  10. JudgeDeath JudgeDeath Well-Known Member

Maps are easy to add, continents not so much.

You can add all kinds of funky maps like inside warships etc ... Caves, mountains etc.

It is the strenght of the lobbygenre.