Background Image

Corruption Points Question.

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by PresTzeentch, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Doing an RP of Dark Heresy and I'm not sure if this is correct or not, would someone gain corruption points for coming into contact, or atleast being near/seeing a lesser daemon? When I say come into contact I simply mean within a melee range, not sitting there giving the daemons (much needed) hugs.
  2. KnightReborned WanderingJester Well-Known Member

Not that I'm much of an authority on PnP RP (just started playing myself recently), but according to the Deathwatch Books it really depends on the situation and the GM. Like the likelihood and amount of corruption points would differ if the players are facing a Keeper of Secrets to, say, a Pink Horror, and you'll have to factor in the faith and background of the player's characters themselves as well as the situation the contact takes place in (a cult summoning versus a full daemonic incursion of real space), so I guess in short: GM should use the lore and books as well as the situation as base to give corruption points to each characters, according to their actions and interactions with the daemon(s) in question. Sorry I can't be more specific, perhaps if you were to give an example of what situation is happening in your RP? Hope this helped.:oops:
  3. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

He said Dark Heresy RP..... I believe the rules strong vary between Deathwatch, Dark Heresy and Black Crusade....

@OP ask Freke, he has plenty of experience or with luck he might see this
  4. AnotherOne AnotherOne Subordinate

actually in most cases they are pretty similar. This case might be an exception though...

Anyways, the rules aren't exactly clear on that... if you fail the fear test and thus gain Insanity Points, you get corruption depending on their fear rating - as long as they don't do anything like performing a ritual or open a gate to the warp or something like that. Them talking might give you corruption also.

The way I see it, the general message in there is "The GM can give you as much CP as he likes" other than the failed fear test. The errata doesn't seem to cover that either.

In Only War and Rogue Trader the guideline for Rending the Veil ("Character caught in a full-blown intrusion of the warp [...]") are from 1 CP upwards to "several d10s" and Sorcery ("practice of sorcery, witnessing dread rituals, and invoking daemons") with "minor rituals" causing 1d10 CP and "major ceremonies can cause many more"

So, yeah. Basically it's up to the GM, I think
    WanderingJester likes this.
  5. Freke Freke Subordinate

Seeing any type of Daemon is a pretty tramatic experience.

People of the Imperium generally grow up without knowledge of their existence, and see them as mere stories terror propaganda to keep people inline. Sometimes though, an Inquisitors retinue doesn't know/has never seen a Daemon, so keep that in mind. For the ones who do know about them, they are not as battle-hardened, and as such would at least be unsettled by them. This decision can be left up to the individual players in their backstories, or up to the GM. The former is generally a wiser choice.

Seeing a Daemon is something that will be in the minds of those characters for the rest of their lives. It's not something you just forget easily. They would probably have nightmares every couple of days, with one or two of them being pretty nasty before eventually fading away. Daemons are madness incarnate, and seeing any thing that involves the warp is something that you would carry with you 'til the grave.

Personally, if I were you, I would award corruption for every second encounter with daemons. So the first encounter having a psychological impact, such as nightmares or maybe small hallucinations such as hearing their name called or something along those lines. Second encounter giving a corruption point.

Keep in mind though, that an Inquisitors retinue would eventually become resistant to the terrors of the Warp, and start to suffer less and less psychologically and corruption wise, as they've "seen some shit."

Could always take the easy way out and just have them roll against their Willpower, awarding a corruption point for every two degrees of failure. (1 degree is 20 points, 2 degrees is 30, etc. EX: 60 Willpower, roll a 90. 2 degrees of failure)

Which ever, what ever. Again, really depends on the GM. You could be creative as fuck with it for all the RPG cares. A lot of things are left up to the GM on how to decide what happens. Every GM is different.

The glories of GM life. :p
    Urian Velos likes this.
  6. Warmaster Nate Warmaster_Nate Well-Known Member

The previous statements regarding multiple d10s and such for sorcery and the veil being sundered are common, but when a daemon is spotted, you roll your fear tests and shock tables and regardless of whether or not the players succeed or fail, they are to take a corruption point for every point of fear rating the daemon has. This is crueler than the stated rule, where they only take corruption if they fail their fear test and take insanity, but it works really well. For example, bloodletters with their Fear(1) send 1 corruption point the players' way upon sighting. Keepers of Secrets with their Fear(4) send 4 corruption points the players' way. If there are multiple daemons running amok, the players can either take the corruption from the biggest daemon's fear rating, or they can take more if the GM rules that the veil is weak enough there and/or the literal hordes of daemons merit the extra degree of corruption. Things like Armour of Contempt and other fun rules and GM considerations can alter this either way, but it's a good rule of thumb.

Fighting daemons is supposed to wear on the player's soul, so always giving the appropriate corruption points as stated previously is warranted, though occasionally the GM may rule that the players are more or less 'jaded' against certain forms of corruption as they 'stagnate' until something new 'refreshes' them to corruption. It may sound like your players will get buried in corruption fast, but they won't so long as you balance it well. Daemons shouldn't recur too often, as they need to be genuinely scary and having them pop up everywhere will inoculate the players. I ran a year-long game of chaos-heavy Dark Heresy where daemons appeared relatively often and twice the players ran into a full-scale incursion; at the finale when the final boss was felled, our cleric was at 98 corruption at game end, the arbitrator was at 76 and most everyone else was around 40. Throwing corruption equal to the daemon's fear rating every time they see a daemon is actually a reasonable and consistent method to whittle away at your players. As I said, this method is markedly crueler than the stated rules, but even the rulebook admits that the methods for giving corruption are guidelines and should be changed at the GM's will (as is the rest of the book for any RPG).
  7. Tyryt Tyryt Prefectus

Keep in mind too, corruption isn't just insanity, it's chaos and the raw stuff of chaos gaining a foothold on the character. Seeing a lictor unfold itself from the wall next to you and eat you buddy would be horrifying, and possibly lead to the aforementioned nightmares, insanity, etc, but it's not going to wear on your soul or cause you to sprout a tentacle or grow a third eye. Watching a deamonette cavort around slaying a few people while moaning in ecstasy, only to fade out as it's tongue gives your cheek a lick, is likely to both horrify you and open you a bit to the corruption of chaos.
    Facing a bloodletter would, IMO, be a much less corrupting (though not horrifying), experience because they are pretty straight-foward, they want to chop your head off, Tzeentch or Slaanesh deamons, however, leave a lot more "disturbing" possibilities that someone will dwell on long after the initial encounter.