Background Image

Community Cohesion: Sub-factions or Guilds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bogrol, Jun 24, 2016.

?

Which is more important to you?

1. Sub-Factions before Guilds

2. Guilds before Sub-Factions

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bogrol Bogrol Steam Early Access

I tend to anticipate the sociology of a topic and this is part about what possible implications of a game design may devalue sub-factions. My ideal Eternal Crusade would have Sub-factions as the guilds; a preset where no guild is present. The wider community are automatically more self-involved as a sub-faction more than guilds. The organized partitions of factions / sub-factions can be identified as guilds. I mean to say this may yield a better experience if delivered correctly and consistently..

How will the sub-factions keep players connected and involved?
    What should encourage the choice of sub-faction?​
    Will most players self-identify as <sub-faction name>?
    Will most players self-identify as <guild name>?
    Why should a Guild presence supersede the majority of a Sub-faction name?
    Should it be allowed to?​

Why Sub-factions before Guilds?
    A wider community are encouraged to be more socially-involved though hypothetically less inclined to be cooperative, diligent and/or obedient. It taps into the mind-set of 'mob mentality' where players under the name of Deathskulls share the ideas of Ork Deathskulls against rivals of sorts, friend or foe. Consequently this may fall on faction as a whole, which isn't a bad thing. Though this is entirely dependent on the player's role-play expression, the sub-factions are a constant presence unlike guilds that can disband. But how can it work? Sub-faction characters may interact with one another through voice-overs to inform and remind players of their sub-faction's ideas. This role-play and immersion is inclusive with the W40K community and may work to nurture. A sociological enhancement; an immersive experience.

Why Guilds before Sub-factions?
    Depending on the players, fame and population, or whatever, a guild can evoke advanced tactical plays of multiple players. The involvement here is less about immersion and more of achieving victory through means of cooperation, respect and friendship. Extra facilities include third-party voice comms, a website and other things supporting the brand entirely. Without this, the consistent gameplay becomes evidently inconsistent as people are not segregated doing whatever the hell they want - it's an optional necessity that becomes a super-glue among a glue that holds people together. Of course, the guild name is important but superseding the value of a sub-faction is acceptable? Then why even choose any sub-faction if not for a perk?
  2. Celestia Celestia Prefectus

I just picked my subfaction to make a joke, my commitment to them is much less important than a guild one.
  3. Tyranthius Tyranthius Well-Known Member

Guilds collapse.
    Sub Factions don't.

I'd rather have more choices than guilds. Besides, we already have guilds.
    RagnarSchwarzwolf likes this.
  4. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

Considering that the Sub-factions i want are not in the game i couldn't care less about those present.So guilds for me.
  5. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

I like the concept of subfaction loyalty allot more in immersion terms than guild loyalty, feels more lore abiding that way.

That being said, similar to Galen, the subfaction that i will eventually play for keeps is not in.