Background Image

Buff destructor

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by Phyrak, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Phyrak Phyrak Cipher

Hey there,

Can destructor be moved to the pistol slot and have it at base pistol cost/cost reduction with trait?

Damage wise, could it be brought up to par with cata pistol and have maybe 25+ metres reach?

Thoughts?

- Phyrak
    Whitefox550 likes this.
  2. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

I think whether Destructor is significantly buffed or not depends on how the devs decide to deal with the imbalance of support classes.

My personal preference would be to remove powerful ranged options from all supports (i.e. the apothecary), but realistically this won't happen.

So another option is the give powerful ranged options to all the other supports, in this case Destructor is the obvious choice for Eldar, and buffing it to the level of a primary weapon in order to echo the ranged Apothecary is certainly an option.

Downsides to this are that it undermines the asymmetry of the factions somewhat, and that if it took the pistol slot then Warlocks would be able to have Chainsword equivalents alongside their powerful ranged weapon. This, of course, is not okay.

A work around for this that has been suggested elsewhere is to link the buffed version of Destructor to a primary weapon choice, using Sorcerers as an example, they could have a Force Stave that effectively acts as a ranged weapon. Unfortunately Eldar do not have an equivalent, although I suspect a Witchblade variant could work just fine.

In the short term, however, I do think that moving Destructor to the pistol slot would be a good decision, although I would hold off on buffing it until decisions have been made on the direction that support classes as a whole are going to move in.
  3. Phyrak Phyrak Cipher

Not even a buff in range to make it a tad more useful or bring to par with the cata pistol?
  4. Vampatori Vampatori New Member

I don't like the idea of having spells in weapon slots, I think it fundamentally changes too much in-terms of balance.

As Destructor has always used the flame template, and flame weapons are on their way I think (they mentioned that they were nearly ready in the live stream the other day - unless I mis-understood) then I think swapping Destructor to use flamer mechanics could be an ideal fix for the spell.

We have the Singing Spear, I think that would be a really nice option for Warlocks to give them some short range potential, and it could be designed such that it's less good than a Witch Blade in close combat.
    Brujah likes this.
  5. Phyrak Phyrak Cipher

Don't Eldar have force staves too?

Unless I misread the fluff somewhere...

Could that be a good way to tier the psycker spells?
    That is to say via various weapons

T1 - witch blades
    T2 - singing spears
    T3 - power staves
  6. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

I think you may have misheard on the topic of flamers, I don't think they're coming any time soon, but moving Destructor to a flamer style weapon would be a suitable way to make it more unique and potentially less useless.

Eldar do not use force weapons at all, Witchblades are notably different (In tabletop terms they do not have 'Force' but instead have Fleshbane and Armourbane). There is a Witch Staff, but it is exclusively used by the Spiritseer, not by Warlocks.
  7. Phyrak Phyrak Cipher

Thank you for the clarification

Well, since there is a mess in the way gear is acquired and wielded by classes - could the witch staff be used by locks in the way power fists are used by basic lsm's?
  8. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

Possibly yes, but much like the Singing Spear they would be delayed by animations. Purely as a concept, though, they could work in the way that people have suggested Force Staves would work for Sorcerers, yes.
  9. Phyrak Phyrak Cipher

Easy fix then right? :p

Tiering spells would be nice

We don't yet have the conceal/reveal combo which would be a nice T2 spell

Summoning warp storms or something akin could work as a T3
  10. Shiani Brujah Preacher

In terms of functionality in EC, a Force Staff and Singing Spear could easily be broadly equivalent. The Witchblade and Force Sword are entirely different weapons on TT, yet are functionally identical in EC (the Witchblade has a bit more damage as of whichever 1.3.x patch, but other than that they're the same).

I believe in TT a Singing Spear can be thrown. I don't expect that functionality to find its way into EC, nor should it, really.