Background Image

Being A Tacticals "chaperone"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Djemo-SRB, Mar 6, 2015.

?

Do you like the emphasis on tactical units?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

I dont understand how many people are ready to forfeit "hit and run" tactics just because they are troublesome ...Is zergs the only thing people really want these days?
  2. Laanshor Laanshor Well-Known Member

If that's to me then I'd counter that Tacticals having the only cap ability does not affect the potential for zerging one way or another.
  3. Murtag Murtag Cipher

Exactly my reason for wanting some sort of capping ability for jump troops. I'm not going to practice until I can beat anyone in melee. I'm going to play jump troops so I can jump in and start grabbing an unprotected objective. The enemy gets a notification and sends people over there, possibly more because they assume there's more than one dude there. Then anyone on my side (or another enemy) can pour into the gap that just appeared in the defenses.

Then I jump out before it gets too hot and find another one. Or better yet, coordinate with people to hit three or four at once. Simulate a big invasion for people who don't have a visual on us because they see a ton of objectives being hit at once.
    Galen likes this.
  4. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

in that case tell me a reason to not use an assault troops during a siege.

assault class: the game.
  5. Murtag Murtag Cipher

limited loadout, no heavy weapons, significantly less versatility, I'm assuming they can't ride transports if they're jump troops

Jump troops wouldn't be feasible for actually taking objectives. Other class are there for when all the tacticals get murdered because they're the main objective grabber. Or for stuff like hit and run, which happens to be integral to Eldar warfare.
    Galen likes this.
  6. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

they only need to enter jump over wall capture empty base and run away if they find resistance: other faction don't wait inside base for defend.
    why wasting time in destroy wall if you can jump over?
    BikerTroll likes this.
  7. Murtag Murtag Cipher

Maybe you're not getting what I'm trying to say here.

I mean other classes should be able to get objectives but at a slower rate. Like 100% slower or something. If a wall is low enough for a jump pack then it's meant to be jumped over. If people don't like that then they should actually defend their bases.

I'd be all for jump troops being able to infiltrate bases if there's a high enough point to let them jump over the wall. That would make recon necessary because I'm not about to jump into a base that might be full of trigger happy enemies.

I'm pretty much advocating for more creative warfare instead of tacticals being tactical assault being assaulty and heavy support blowing things up. That gets old. I want an assault that can be tactical in the right situation, or a devastator. Swooping Hawks are all about running in then running out. It's kind of their thing. Assault marine have a lot of hang time. That dude coming up over a wall will get blasted down in a second.
    Galen likes this.
  8. Shawn Bauer ShawnBauer Level Designer

I thought I would explain a bit of our perspective on the level design team, and the reason I was personally happy to support this change.

This new rule allows us to create much more interesting vertical gameplay spaces for jump-capable classes, without having to worry about creating arbitrary blockages or limitations in the geometry of an outpost to specifically prevent ghost/back capping.

The result will be an increase in the freedom of movement for jump classes. This will ultimately reinforce their role: displacing / rooting out defenders. Their strongest asset (mobility) can now be fully supported by the environment.
  9. Laanshor Laanshor Well-Known Member

Edit: Bah, Dev ninja'd :p
    Right BUT again, the way to capture a point is to go THROUGH the wall/door/gate and over/around obstacles.

Airborne Assault troops are meant to get behind the walls and cause a distraction, infiltrate weak player defenses, rain down grenades, take out Heavies and Tacticals who are sniping their forces etc. Infact that's unique to that archetype.

But that's not affected by the Tactical being the sole cap class. All that does is lock in a unique archetype role for the Tactical class.
    That's not going to happen, this game is all about archetypes and overlap as has been constantly stated. Your class, or rather your sub-class (defined by wargear) has a specific job to do and isn't intended to be flexible. They want our teams to rely on other classes :)
    Rikamar likes this.
  10. Shonedar Shonedar Well-Known Member

I like the idea and support it 100%,since this game is supposed to be a tactical shooter...tactics are not only about yelling over VoIP and trying to make a zerg look like an actual military formation...asset management is at the core of tactics.

Devastators covering assaults while they breach, then tacticals filling the breach behind the assaults, providing close support and finally everyone providing cover while tacticals are capturing...that sounds about right...
    vaevictus333 likes this.