Background Image

battlefleet gothic leviathan

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Grigdusher, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Frank FrankM Curator

armada has better graphics, more fleets, fast paced action, but somehow it feels off for me. the balance just isn't the same, for example, the lances are too good against shields, macro batteries are too good against armor, and torpedoes and bombers suck in comparison. and all them extra abilities you can take to battle, like staces field and such, never felt right, so i usually never used them. it feels like dawn of war while leviathan feels like tabletop in video game form. and i can play leviathan at my own pace, on the go, and on the toilet

i have fantasies of modding armada or starting from scratch to make it feel more like the tabletop, but still be in real time

(love dawn of war)
  2. Imperator5 Imperator5 Well-Known Member

Turn based games are bad and slow most of the time. I guess if you are busy wiping the wolf rear , it is better than RTS, but unless you play all your time in the "squig drops" , it is just inferior.

Torpedoes are much easier to use in armada too, though in all I would prefer if they all homed in.

Also Armada is one hell to mod.
  3. [​IMG]
  4. I think that is really a matter of personal preference. I value any type of turn-based over RTS. I like it to have time to think over strategies and have a chilled and relaxed game after a stressful working day. If RTS then I prefer ones with active pause like total war or BFG, and I really dislike (read as -> hate) super fast paced RTS the likes of Star Craft 2.

(In enjoy dawn of war 1, so there are exceptions...and when I was younger I liked the more fast strategy games like Z and KKND 1 & 2...I think its kind of a ying and yang. If your real life is stressed you prefer slow games, if your real life is in a comfort zone without worries you are more up to "the faster the better".)

So that's why I wouldn't say outright turn-based is inferior to RTS, both serve their purpose and its like comparing apples and oranges.
  5. Imperator5 Imperator5 Well-Known Member

Sanctus reach for example can take up to THIRTY MINUTES of ork movement and action, which you have to wait through. If you alt tab its even slower.

Turn based works best with a small number of units that severly limit its scope. XCOM is a good example , with around 5 units and at best 10 enemies you are not bogged down by endless waiting.
  6. I believe then it's bad coding. I don't remember the old Rites of War or Panzer General series from SSI, the original X-com and X-com terror from the deep to have this long waiting times. And they all had more than 10 enemies on the map.

How many units does Sanctus Reach have in average? Hundreds?
  7. Frank FrankM Curator

[​IMG]

chaos is now available