Background Image

Banshee underwhelming

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by Scirocco, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Scirocco Recruit

Is it just me or do other faction's melee classes just seem better?
    All we have is the banshee howl, which is very situational (I'd often rather not give away my position and get a back-attack in) and doesn't make up for the fact that other melee classes have:
    • Capture key
    • Multiple melee weapons to choose from
    • Anti-vehicle weapons (claw/fist)
    • Shields
    • Jetpacks (more painful now that the vulnerability patch has been reverted)
    What sets us apart?
    The banshee's howl is a neat-o concept but it just doesn't carry much weight.
    You'll often get blasted before you can close a gap despite the suppression effect and the damage effect is often not worth letting the whole world know you're there and in need of a bolting.

The only thing I do like in comparison to other melee classes is the cartwheel, might just be conjecture on my part but it feels more reliable than rolling.
    Iyan and Sily like this.
  2. Judasilfarion Silfarion Drill Abbott

Well, AFAIK melee is underpowered right now but what is a banshee supposed to get besides what they already have? The only thing I can think of is a little more speed, since they're supposed to be lightly armored heavy-infantry dicers

As for executioners, mirrorblades and triskeles, those aren't in the game because there are no animations for them yet
    Whitefox550 likes this.
  3. Tiberius Brad83 Subordinate

Well the dev team have now finished the tactical escalation phase and are going back to content so we might get some stuff. Hopfully
  4. RageScreama RageScreama Well-Known Member

Personally I like the banshee more than slugga boyz. Used right banshees can absolutely shred groups of people. You gotta have a lot of stamina and play more hit and run. They aren't meant to just rush people and smack them over the head repeatedly like a khornate GA with a chain axe.
    ItGetsAllOver and Twirl like this.
  5. Blade_Cairan17 New Member

I exclusively play Banshee. I do pretty decent and I'm getting much better than since I initially started as I learned to play the class more and more. To effectively play a Banshee, you need to flank the enemy and catch them by surprise; When within melee range, activate your scream and attack swift, using strong swing if available. Once you've landed a few hits or downed your target, run and recover.

We're not meant to beserk charge the enemy. I've learned over and over that'll just get us slaughtered. We're nimble and quick, not strong and hardy.
  6. Mileena Mileena Subordinate

how about banshee scream gives her a temporary resistance to "ranged" damage.
    Dragonkindred likes this.
  7. Shiani Brujah Preacher

Or debuffs enemy ranged damage. I'd probably prefer that, since it would favour accurate screaming.
  8. Honestly the thing the scream needs that I have been talking to the devs about it an interrupt. It would force heavy weapons to reset to the preshoot phase and allow the Banshee to seek cover or attempt to close the distance. The changes so it no longer effects Eldar and causes them to take bonus melee dmg is a step in the right direction but you are correct when you say Banshees can not go head long into the enemy and expect to make it. They are good flankers though and once in the middle of a group of marines a good Banshee can just butcher targets at leisure.
    Iyan, Gaan_Cathal, Rathael and 3 others like this.
  9. Elemir Swiftblade Warriant Arkhona Vanguard

I can still somewhat regularly kill small groups, 2-3 and I'm not the best in melee. However like everyone above me said, getting into range is the hard part and the scream does nothing to help you get there, an interrupt could help or taking reduced ranged damage while sprinting and a larger aoe is a must honestly. The reduced ranged damage while sprinting would help them get into scream range then the interrupt would let them get into melee from there. The JPA slam does far more for interrupting than the scream.
    Bloodlich likes this.
  10. Thats because the scream has no interrupt currently, a stun would be too much as it would be abuse-able in melee so an interrupt is the way it needs to be to still remain balanced.
    Dragonkindred and Warriant like this.