Background Image

Avenger help!!

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by Sneaky-krumpin, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Razmirth Sneaky-krumpin Subordinate

So I play orks mainly, but eldar are my second go to faction. I find they play opposite from orks in a lot of ways, and with the EHP nerfs it makes it a challenge to say the least. I find if I want to play for points, I just take fire dragon with dual meltabombs and go have fun. Unfortunately, often there's 5 or 6 other guys in a match who think the same thing. So, I've branched off a bit. Scorpion I can do pretty good with, and reaper to some extent...but avenger seems to be so hard to play.

I mean honestly...it takes a whole clip emptied into a guy to down him.

I don't have a huge issue with aiming, but I'm not some headshot guru like some guys. The main issue I have is actually winning in a shootout. Heck, I get the drop on Guys from behind and they still have enough EHP to turn around and down me in 4 shots. For me, this is a little much...if I hide, crouch, and sneak behind a guy to take him out, you'd think back shots wound do more damage or at least take the guy down. As it is, I need to constantly be with someone else to even take on one guy. This is fine, but let's be honest...when you die and respawn, you inevitably need to make it back to your team...and one on ones are all to common (or for eldar, being killed with 4 shots from a devastator 200 yards away just random spraying shots at you).

How do you guys win 1 on 1s? I know it's possible, as I see lots of Guys who play avengers and pull off 20+ kills a match. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Ps- I'm using dual grenades, avenger shuriken catapult with the armour piercing rounds, some heavy barrel and the grip which prevents penalties for moving. Everything else is mainly armor regen stacked and that awesome orange blade.
    Sily and Dragonkindred like this.
  2. ambersand91 Recruit

iirc, the avengers have some of the better armor of the eldar classes and very little weapon options to eat up loadout points so just shove some advancements in. Use evade for dem iframes.
  3. Personally acheved near 50 kill once on Olipsys, but average have 20-30 if goys as avenger without AV assistance as dragon or reaper.
    Here is my loadouts based on armor regen and toughness. I also abuse fast reload usually. For tuff guys i have catapult with strashards penetration and impulse accelerator.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Stopped to use TLASC after fast reload mags have been added. Too cluncky, less accurate, huge damage falloff
  4. Noromiz Noromiz Nickname Change

Hmm, I don't get why you use Barrel Mods for the ASC as they don't really change anything since it doesn't have any recoil anyway and the Impulse Accelerator lowers your DPS (at all ranges).

I usually just go with either the Accuracy or Movement Grip and the Fast Reload Mag, or sometimes I pick the TL-ASC is I want to go CQB (like on Pegasus).
    20170416003552_1.jpg

Though admittedly I am not that skilled at playing Dire Avenger, but this build is kinda straight forward.
  5. Krayt Krayt Preacher

I personnaly dont like using grenades so i go for all the armor i can afford
    [​IMG]
  6. Razmirth Sneaky-krumpin Subordinate

TBH I find grenades situational at best. There's times when u can get the drop on guys, but usually as soon as the grenade icon comes on screen People scatter. They are ok for getting people out of cover, but taking the time to aim the grenade in a shootout is unlikely. Not to mention that there is often more than one place to roll to when a grenade falls, often back onto more cover. Not many people are gonna roll out over cover towards the guy shooting at them.

I've dropped down to one grenade only. Good to have one just in case, but I don't find the bundle super useful all the times. You gotta be alive long enough to actually use the grenades...which is hard as eldar. I always keep one to drop on people capping or decapping points. I find the splash damage of grenades isn't too great anyways. Unless it's right beside someone, it usually barely softens a target.
  7. Durash Durash Arkhona Vanguard

I usually run TL-SC with a heavy barrel and stablizing grip.
    Primary Loadout:
    [​IMG]
    My alternative loadout trades in the TL for a standard shuriken catapult with fast reload and stabilizing grip and upgraded armor:
    [​IMG]

• Constantly look to flank and re-position
    • Stick plasma grenades onto incoming mobs and then shoot them to trigger them immediately
    • Avoid engaging in an ADSing (aiming down sights) duel with another ranged-archetype, you'll be easier to hit and you don't have the same defensive stats they do. Stick to strafing+hipfiring and only ADS if you aren't being threatened
    • Avoid engaging in mid-long range duels with most other classes (see above).
    • If you're sprinting away from a ranged target and they start firing at you, zig-zag and mash dodge key until you get into cover.
    • Get a partner to play warlock and hold renewer + enhance over you while you mag-dump into the opposition

Dire Avenger is my least favorite tactical-archetype class to rambo with, but you can pull off some sick plays if you have irl "battle-focus".
  8. Valentine Iyan Firebrand

Grenades are used to fend off melee imo. You can stick a jump assault dbash them then leap away while they explode.
  9. Razmirth Sneaky-krumpin Subordinate

To be honest, I'm not good at reading melee. Maybe when I was 18, but I'm 34 now and years of welding and breathing in fumes all day have probably screwed me up. Lol. I can dodge some hits and stuff, but I find the heavy attacks and fast ones are so close (unless it's a power fist or something slow). But I will try your advice as best I can.

All great advice guys. Thanks! I think the one I need to try more is not engaging on the enemies terms. I'll just keep trying to outflank, hide, run and try again.
  10. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

This is the build I would personally recommend:

[​IMG]
    Mastercrafted Shuriken Catapult (300 LP)
    - Impulse Accelerator (50 LP)
    - Textured Grip (20 LP)
    - Fast Reload Magazine (20 LP)

Shuriken Pistol (50 LP)
    Ceremonial Knife (0 LP)
    No Armour (0 LP)
    Resilient Spirit Stone (350 LP)
    Argent Avenger Emblem (120 LP)
    Infinity Rune (Minor + Major) (30 LP)
    Wraithbone Curio (Minor) (10 LP)
    Ammo Pack (50 LP)
    The Unsleeping Eye (0 LP)

As for how to approach 1 v 1 fights, it depends on the range.

At long ranges make sure you aim down sights (Default Left Ctrl) and try to aim for the head, it's worth the extra effort as it deals double damage. More often than not, however, you should just avoid long range fights, your catapult excels at close to medium range, not at long ranges.

At medium ranges aim down the sights, aim for the head, keep moving side to side (not necessarily AD spam, just keep mobile). Ideally have some cover close to hand so you can duck in if you need to and abuse your peekers advantage, whether it's the latency or the other guys reaction time, if you pre-fire when you peek, get some hits and hide again they really can't fight you.

At close ranges you ought to hip fire at their head (as usual) and keep mobile, again, not necessarily AD spamming but always keep moving sideways to the enemy. If you're very, very close throw a fast attack then back off and start shooting again, often your enemy will begin a dbash and you get a free kill. You can also try to circle strafe around your enemy whilst hip firing at them, many players in EC react poorly to this and you'll find them easy prey.

You will always have a ttk disadvantage against any enemy you fight, so you must leverage your mobility, and to an extent simply outplay your opponent.

As for fighting melee, 9 times out of 10 you can just throw a blind dbash, stun them and shoot them in the head for a free kill. It's cheesy, unfair and hopefully will get patched soon, but it is what it is. Often you'll find this won't work though, as some players follow their first fast attack with a power attack specifically to counter this, take note of what the people who do this look like. Is it a red jump assault? An Ork with goggles? Remember them and when you encounter them respond appropriately, people have patterns they stick to and you can really fuck them over if you fast attack when they expect a dbash. Typically when you interrupt someones power attack they'll panic and default to fast attacks, so dbash immediately and enjoy the free kill.

Against some of the better players these assumptions won't work, but the only real way to win then is to go full rock paper scissors and mind games the shit out of them, that's not something you can really learn without a bunch of practice.